Friday, January 8, 2016

A Million Miles Away by Lara Avery | Review ft. Downton Abbey!

18484795Title: A Million Miles Away
Author: Lara Avery
Publisher: Poppy
Release Date: July 7, 2015
Source: Netgalley
Edition: eARC

Perfect for fans of Nicholas Sparks, this breathtaking story of love and loss is guaranteed to break your heart and sweep you off your feet.
When high school senior Kelsey's identical twin sister, Michelle, dies in a car crash, Kelsey is left without her other half. The only person who doesn't know about the tragedy is Michelle's boyfriend, Peter, recently deployed to Afghanistan. But when Kelsey finally connects with Peter online, she can't bear to tell him the truth. Active duty has taken its toll, and Peter, thinking that Kelsey is Michelle, says that seeing her is the one thing keeping him alive. Caught up in the moment, Kelsey has no choice: She lets Peter believe that she is her sister.
As Kelsey keeps up the act, she crosses the line from pretend to real. Soon, Kelsey can't deny that she's falling, hard, for the one boy she shouldn't want. 

**Thank you to Little Brown for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

A Million Miles Away follows Kelsey, a girl who is pretty much a party lover. She has a twin sister, Michelle, who the reader gets to meet briefly. Before long, Michelle dies in a car accident. However, Michelle was dating a guy named Peter who went away to Afghanistan. One day, Peter tries skyping Michelle through her computer, and Kelsey answers. Since they're identical twins, Peter has no clue and Kelsey decides to keep up the charade. Before long, she's falling for him.

So, like I said, Kelsey is pretty much the partier of the family. Her sister, Michelle, was the good sister. She took AP classes and did pretty much everything that her parents wanted her to. I think that really had an impact on Kelsey and made her change her ways after Michelle died. 
downton abbey quotes edith crawley gif

I felt pretty bad for Kelsey once people started to find out that she was pretending to be her sister. However, she pretty much owned it because she didn't want to break Peter's heart while he was trying to fight for his life in another country. She wanted him to come home alive.
i'll burp in public if i want to gif

At the way end though, once things went down, I was a bit surprised. There wasn't as much anger as I expected. It just kind of wrapped up a bit too nicely, and I didn't really know what to think about it.
dowager countess of grantham gif

Nonetheless, I enjoyed this book and would recommend it if you like contemporaries with a twist. I'm definitely going to give more books by Avery a chance in the future.


2 comments:

  1. I don't know how I felt about this book. It seemed like it was lacking something, and I never really was able to pinpoint exactly what. I really disliked what Kelsey did, but at the same time, I understood why she did it, so I can't hate her character. It definitely did have a twist at the end, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really didn't care for this one -- I thought that she was so cruel! Made it hard to like her but the ending was ok. Great review! Mine is here

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!