Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Series Review: Lemony Snicket's All the Wrong Questions!

Hey guys! Today I'm here to spice it up a little bit and write a series review. I've never done this before, but I think it's the perfect way to review all of these books that I've read by Lemony Snicket! 

Titles: Who Could That Be At This Hour?, When Did You See Her Last?, Shouldn't You Be In School?, Why Is This Night Different From All the Other Nights?
Author: Lemony Snicket
Genre: Mystery

**Thank you so much to Put Me In the Story & the publisher for sending me copies of all of these books in exchange for reviews!**

I'd just like to give a quick mention that every book I received was personalized to the point where people I knew were even mentioned in the book! It was an extremely wonderful experience to read the book this way, so I highly suggest checking out Put Me In the Story to get your own personalized copies! I've put the link below.


Who Could It Be At This Hour? 
13477819

The adventure began in a fading town. Far from anyone he knew or trusted, a young Lemony Snicket started an apprenticeship for a secret organization shrouded in mystery and secrecy. He asked questions that shouldn't have been on his mind. Now he has written an account that should not be published that shouldn't be read. Not even by you. Seriously, we recommend that you do NOT ask your parents for this, the first book in his new ALL THE WRONG QUESTIONS series.
Lemony Snicket, in case you don't already know, grew up to be the author of A Series of Unfortunate Events series.
The All the Wrong Questions series started off with a bang in Who Could It Be At This Hour?. Book one follows Lemony as he joins Theodora on an adventure in Stain'd-by-the-Sea. They're on the hunt for a missing object that may never have actually been stolen in the first place.

I was immediately drawn in to Lemony Snicket's writing. I loved A Series of Unfortunate Events as a kid and I even loved the movie, so his writing instantly made me nostalgic. I also thought it was extremely clever that the protagonist himself is actually Snicket. It made you think that perhaps this is what his childhood was really like!

I especially adored Snicket's humor which was evident throughout the entire tale. The story itself was very captivating; I wanted to know what was going on! I greatly loved Moxie as well. She was such a clever character and I found it super cool that she wanted to be a journalist so bad. Writers are the best!

I definitely enjoyed Who Could It Be At This Hour? and can't wait to continue on with the rest of the series!


--------

When Did You See Her Last?

17369219
I should have asked the question "How could someone who was missing be in two places at once?" Instead, I asked the wrong question -- four wrong questions, more or less. This is the account of the second.

In the fading town of Stain'd-by-the-Sea, young apprentice Lemony Snicket has a new case to solve when he and his chaperone are hired to find a missing girl. Is the girl a runaway? Or was she kidnapped? Was she seen last at the grocery store? Or could she have stopped at the diner? Is it really any of your business? These are All The Wrong Questions.
Book two didn't even bother slowing down after book one, so that was wonderful! This time, Lemony is in for yet another mystery. A girl has gone missing, though the more he tries to search for clues, Lemony finds that everyone's statements don't even match up. Some say they saw her getting into a taxi when others say that they she wouldn't dare go in a taxi when her parents just bought her a brand new super-expensive car. How come nothing is matching up? Lemony goes and finds out!

Once again, I adored Lemony's humor throughout the story. He's just such a funny person and his wording is incredibly pleasing to the reader in my opinion. I loved how the story was very action-packed yet again, and I didn't feel bored while reading at all, which I found a huge plus. Sometimes mysteries get a little slow before they pick up again but this was not the case with When Did You See Her Last?

I honestly think this book was even better than book one, which is yet another awesome thing about this book. I can't wait to see where the series goes next because now I have even more questions than before!
 

--------
Shouldn't You Be In School?

18754759
 Is Lemony Snicket a detective or a smoke detector?
Do you smell smoke? Young apprentice Lemony Snicket is investigating a case of arson but soon finds himself enveloped in the ever-increasing mystery that haunts the town of Stain'd-by-the-Sea. Who is setting the fires? What secrets are hidden in the Department of Education? Why are so many schoolchildren in danger? Is it all the work of the notorious villain Hangfire? How could you even ask that? What kind of education have you had?
Maybe you should be in school?
 
In Shouldn't You Be In School? Lemony begins exploring a mystery revolving around arson as well as the Department of Education. The mysteries have gotten more serious with every book, as now the person behind everything is involved with arson.

I was happy to finally get some answers in this book! I still have some questions, but I'm trusting that Snicket will reveal them in the fourth and final book. I still adore Moxie; there's just something about her. She's extremely clever and I love her as a character!

Another awesome thing about this book is that Josephine made a cameo. I'm pretty sure that it's the very same Josephine from A Series of Unfortunate Events, though I'm not 100% positive. If it is, I'm super impressed! I love it when authors have other characters from their past works make cameos.

This series just keeps getting better from book to book and Lemony's humor is still going strong. I can't wait to read the thrilling conclusion!

--------

Why Is This Night Different From All Other Nights?
24607565
Train travel! Murder! Librarians! A Series Finale!

On all other nights, the train departs from Stain'd Station and travels to the city without stopping. But not tonight. You might ask, why is this night different from all other nights? But that's the wrong question. Instead ask, where is this all heading? And what happens at the end of the line? The final book in Lemony Snicket's bestselling series, All The Wrong Questions.
I can't believe this is the finally already. I've been flying through the books at warp-speed and I'm kind of sad to see it go! I'll probably have to give the series a reread sometime, but let's get on with the review, shall we?

The fourth and final book follows Snicket as he goes on yet another mystery, this time involving a train that's leaving Stain'd-by-the-Sea. People are getting murdered, and Snicket has to find out who is behind them. Plus, there's even some people in disguise!

I feel like I say this in every review of Lemony Snicket's, though his humor was awesome. I just find him so clever and hilarious to the point where everything that he says sticks with me as a reader. I also loved how the whole of this book pretty much was set on a train. I've never read a book like that before and it definitely added to the overall tone of the book!

This book brought up even more questions for me, though I felt they were all answered pretty well. However, I was so not ready for the series to come to an end! I've come to love the characters so much to the point where I want the books to kind of go on forever. If you can't tell, I definitely think that this series is worth the read-the books are so good that you are guaranteed to fly right through them!

SERIES RATING:

Have you read this series before? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

1 comment:

  1. First of all, I'm sorry about my English, it's not the best thing in the world but I just need to comment. I've read the first and the second books so far, I just loved them both! I agree with you, Lemony have such an amazing sense of humor that made me love the stories even more!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!