Tuesday, December 22, 2015

OMG Shakespeare Reviews!

Hey guys! Today I'm here with reviews of the two latest books in the OMG Shakespeare series! If you haven't seen my reviews for the first two that were released, check them out here!


25387441Title: Macbeth #killingit
Author: William Shakespeare and Courtney Carbone
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers
Release Date: January 5, 2016
Source: Publisher
Edition: ARC

 Macbeth, one of the greatest stories ever told . . . in texts?!
 
Imagine: What if that tragic couple, Macbeth and Lady Macbeth, had smartphones? A classic is reborn in this fun and funny adaptation of one of Shakespeare’s most famous plays!
 
A prophecy from three witches.
A social-climbing couple committing a murder most foul.
A cover-up that spins way out of control.


and h8. The classics just got a whole lot more interesting. ;)
 
 
tl;dr A Shakespeare play told through its characters texting with emojis, posting photos, checking in at locations, and updating their relationship statuses. The perfect gift for hip theater lovers and teens.

A glossary and cast of characters are included for those who need it. For example: tl;dr means too long; didn’t read.
 **Thank you so much to Penguin Random House for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

A few months ago, I got the chance to read two brilliant OMG Shakespeare books. That's why I was completely excited when I got the chance to read two more!

Macbeth #killingit retells the story of Macbeth through witty text messages that will really have you laughing your butt off. I found myself giggling quite a few times! Of course, this Shakespeare tale I had actually read before. As a matter of fact, my AP English class was currently reading it when I decided to pick this one up to help me better understand the story as a whole once we finished reading the actual play. It definitely helped so I honestly think that this could be an excellent tool when it comes to reading Shakespeare. Plus, it will get you laughing and may even get you more invested in the story as a whole! 

I absolutely loved how so many of the characters came to life through the texting and the emojis. If you get confused about anything, there's also a glossary that will help you out! I know that I had to go check it out a few times because I'm not the best when it comes to text speak. I highly suggest giving this one a read if you have the chance!
 -------------------------

25387442
Title: A Midsummer Night #nofilter
Author: William Shakespeare and Brett Wright
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers
Release Date: January 5, 2016
Source: Publisher
Edition: ARC

A Midsummer Night’s Dream, one of the greatest stories ever told . . . in texts?!
 
Imagine: What if the fairies and star-crossed lovers of the forest had smartphones? A classic is reborn in this fun and funny adaptation of one of Shakespeare’s most famous plays!
 
Four lovers who can’t decide who they have a crush on.
One mischievous fairy with a love potion.
Total chaos in the fairy world, the human world, and everywhere in between!

and h8. The classics just got a whole lot more interesting. ;)
 
tl;dr A Shakespeare play told through its characters texting with emojis, posting photos, checking in at locations, and updating their relationship statuses. The perfect gift for hip theater lovers and teens.

A glossary and cast of characters are included for those who need it. For example: tl;dr means too long; didn’t read.
 

**Thank you so much to Penguin Random House for letting me read this book in exchange for an honest review!**

This was yet again another wonderful OMG Shakespeare book! For those of you who don't know, OMG Shakespeare is a series that retells Shakespeare's classics through text. They're hilariously wonderful and this one was no exception!

 A Midsummer Night's Dream is one of my favorite Shakespeare plays; it's definitely right up there with Macbeth. I think I've read maybe six or seven Shakespeare plays but these are the two that actually stuck out to me, so I thoroughly understood and loved this version! It was great to have the characters be brought to light in such an original way. Plus, it was a breeze to get through because of all the text talk.

One of my favorite things is that these characters obviously didn't have phones or texting during their period, so it's funny to think that this is how Helena, Lysander, and Demetrius would have acted if they did. Let's not forget Puck! He's hands-down one of my all time favorite characters. If you're looking for a modern day retelling of a classic Shakespeare play, be sure to pick this one up!

1 comment:

  1. I love these books. I read srsly Hamlet and yolo Juliet when they came out a while back. I need to get my hands on these two. Thanks for sharing!

    Dena @ Batch of Books

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!