Thursday, December 24, 2015

Book Review: What You Left Behind by Jessica Verdi

20933641Title: What You Left Behind
Author: Jessica Verdi
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Release Date: August 4, 2015
Source: Netgalley
Genre: Contemporary
Edition: eARC

It’s all Ryden’s fault. If he hadn’t gotten Meg pregnant, she would have never stopped her chemo treatments and would still be alive. Instead, he’s failing fatherhood one dirty diaper at a time. And it’s not like he’s had time to grieve while struggling to care for their infant daughter, start his senior year, and earn the soccer scholarship he needs to go to college.

The one person who makes Ryden feel like his old self is Joni. She’s fun and energetic—and doesn’t know he has a baby. But the more time they spend together, the harder it becomes to keep his two worlds separate. Finding one of Meg’s journals only stirs up old emotions, and Ryden’s convinced Meg left other notebooks for him to find, some message to help his new life make sense. But how is he going to have a future if he can’t let go of the past?

**Thank you to Sourcebooks Fire for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

What You Left Behind follows a guy named Ryden whose girlfriend just passed away fairly recently. Ryden got his girlfriend, Meg, pregnant, though she decided to keep the baby even though it meant getting rid of chemo treatments for her cancer. She thought that she'd be able to make it the nine months, though she was wrong.

For some reason, I found this story just okay. I liked Ryden a lot and I thought it was really cool that he had Meg's old journals. Honestly, I think that was the coolest part of the story...the journal that he found. However, I just didn't find the tale all that gripping. I did find it extremely sad though, especially with the tragedy that had recently occurred with Meg.

Despite all of that, I did read the entire book, so there was something that definitely kept me reading. I honestly wanted to know how Ryden ended up, because going through something like that had definitely taken a huge toll on him and I can understand why. On top of that, he also had to care for his new child while also juggling school and soccer, which is mom was so adamant about him not playing at all. He had so many responsibilities that I couldn't even imagine having at this age. In the end, What You Left Behind was an alright book, though I'm going to be sure to check out more by Verdi in the future.

 

1 comment:

  1. It's a shame this book couldn't take your breath away, but it still sounds like a pretty decent read. I want more books like this where it is from a male perspective, and you don't hear about single fathers in YA much so I will be trying this one eventually!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!