Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Book Review: The Trouble With Destiny by Lauren Morrill

18982137Title: The Trouble With Destiny
Author: Lauren Morrill
Publisher: Delacorte
Release Date: December 8, 2015
Genre: Contemporary
Source: Publisher for Review
Edition: eARC

 It’s not about the destination, it’s about the journey...

With her trusty baton and six insanely organized clipboards, drum major Liza Sanders is about to take Destiny by storm—the boat, that is. When Liza discovered that her beloved band was losing funding, she found Destiny, a luxury cruise ship complete with pools, midnight chocolate buffets, and a $25,000 spring break talent show prize.

Liza can’t imagine senior year without the band, and nothing will distract her from achieving victory. She’s therefore not interested when her old camp crush, Lenny, shows up on board, looking shockingly hipster-hot. And she’s especially not interested in Russ, the probably-as-dumb-as-he-is-cute prankster jock whose ex, Demi, happens be Liza’s ex–best friend and leader of the Athenas, a show choir that’s the band’s greatest competition.

But it’s not going to be smooth sailing. After the Destiny breaks down, all of Liza’s best-laid plans start to go awry. Liza likes to think of herself as an expert at almost everything, but when it comes to love, she’s about to find herself lost at sea.

**Thank you to Penguin Random House for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

I've been absolutely loving contemporaries lately and I've heard such good things about Lauren Morrill's past books, so I knew that The Trouble With Destiny was going to be a marvelous read.

The story follows a girl named Liza who is going on a cruise ship with the band from her school in order to compete and win a prize of $25,000. The thing is, she's pretty much in charge of the band and knows one thing that everyone else in the band doesn't: funding may be cut so they really need to win or else the band is over forever. 

Liza was a great main character. I loved learning about her and I really felt for her when I found out that she was keeping all the knowledge about the band possibly being cut to herself. I also felt terrible for her because of Demi, who used to be her best friend. Demi is such a mean person now! 

I think that Lenny was my favorite character-he and Liza shared their first kiss when they were twelve at a summer camp, which I found super adorable. Lenny was just so sweet to Liza, which I loved. I shipped the two of them from the very beginning! (Get it? Since they're on a ship? No?)

After finishing this book, I definitely know that I'm going to have to pick up Lauren's past novels. In the mean time, I think you should give this book a go!

 

1 comment:

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!