Thursday, December 10, 2015

Book Review: From a Distant Star by Karen McQuestion

24036088Title: From a Distant Star
Author: Karen McQuestion
Publisher: Skyscape
Release Date: May 19, 2015
Source: Netgalley
Genre: Science Fiction
Edition: eARC

Seventeen-year-old Emma was the only one who hadn't given up on her boyfriend, Lucas. Everyone else-his family, his friends, his doctors-was convinced that any moment could be his last. So when Lucas miraculously returns from the brink of death, Emma thinks her prayers have been answered.
As the surprised town rejoices, Emma begins to question whether Lucas is the same boy she's always known. When she finds an unidentifiable object on his family's farm-and government agents come to claim it-she begins to suspect that nothing is what it seems. Emma's out-of-this-world discovery may be the key to setting things right, but only if she and Lucas can evade the agents who are after what they have. With all her hopes and dreams on the line, Emma sets out to save the boy she loves. And with a little help from a distant star, she might just have a chance at making those dreams come true. 

**Thank you to Skyscape for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

From A Distant Star follows a girl named Emma and a boy named Scout.

Emma's boyfriend Lucas has been sick with cancer for the longest time. She spends so much of her life sitting with him even though he can't even do anything anymore. He's always asleep and everyone is pretty much waiting for him to wake up.

Scout, an alien, comes down to Earth one night and tries to fix Lucas though accidentally ends up taking over his body. He's keeping Lucas alive, though he's the one controlling the body. Everyone thinks that Lucas is suddenly healthy again, though it's really just Scout.

I absolutely love books about aliens because they're not something that I read often, so I really liked this one. Emma was a very sweet character and she felt so much for Lucas, though Scout was definitely my favorite character. I loved the way he talked and it was incredible that he learned so much about the English language within a matter of days just by listening. I also thought it was very cool that he had so many powers.

I definitely found this book to be a satisfying read and I think I'd check out more by Karen in the future!

 

6 comments:

  1. Great review, Krystianna! Scout was my favorite character too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ACK A CUTE ALIEN CHARACTER. I need to get this book hehe, awesome review :D

    Maryam @ Once Upon A Story

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this read too! My nerd self also appreciated the Star Wars and Cosmos references!

    Elizabeth @ Book YAbber

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiya Krystianna, I hope you're well and having a great week! I've tagged you in my Liebster Award post here if you would like to check it out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds fantastic! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!