Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Book Review: Shattered Blue by Lauren Bird Horowitz

25953603Title: Shattered Blue
Author: Lauren Bird Horowitz
Publisher: Skyscape
Release Date: September 15, 2015
Genre: Fantasy
Source: Netgalley
Edition: eARC

For Noa and Callum, being together is dangerous, even deadly. From the start, sixteen-year-old Noa senses that the mysterious transfer student to her Monterey boarding school is different. Callum unnerves and intrigues her, and even as she struggles through family tragedy, she's irresistibly drawn to him. Soon they are bound by his deepest secret: Callum is Fae, banished from another world after a loss hauntingly similar to her own.
But in Noa's world, Callum needs a special human energy, Light, to survive; his body steals it through touch-or a kiss. And Callum's not the only Fae on the hunt. When Callum is taken, Noa must decide: Will she sacrifice everything to save him? Even if it means learning their move may not be what she thought? 

**Thank you to Skyscape for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

Shattered Blue was a wonderfully unique read, especially considering I've not read a book involving fae mythology since I read The Iron King years ago. The story follows a girl named Noa, whose sister recently died. One day at her school, a new guy named Callum comes and she's immediately drawn in by him. The two of them begin to share more secrets and before long he gets taken away, in which his brother, Judah comes along. Will they be able to get Callum back?

I adored the fae element to this book. I've not read anything involving fae in a while, as it's a rarity for me in the books I read, which has definitely made this book special in my eyes. However, it was very insta-lovey in the beginning. I know that this bothers a lot of people, but in this case, it didn't actually bother me. I was rooting for Callum and Noa the entire time; I loved them together.

This book also involved a love triangle though, which I also know is not everyone's favorite element of young adult literature. To make things a little stranger, the love triangle actually involves two brothers, so I guess it's kind of like Vampire Diaries in that way. However, I didn't much mind it because I just kept rooting for Callum.

Saying all that, I can't wait for the sequel to come out!


1 comment:

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!