Monday, November 30, 2015

Book Review: Nexis by A.L. Davroe

21480858Title: Nexis
Author: A.L. Davroe
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Release Date: December 1, 2015
Genre: Dystopian
Source: Publisher for Review
Edition: eARC

In the domed city of Evanescence, appearance is everything. A Natural Born amongst genetically-altered Aristocrats, all Ella ever wanted was to be like everyone else. Augmented, sparkling, and perfect. Then…the crash. Devastated by her father’s death and struggling with her new physical limitations, Ella is terrified to learn she is not just alone, but little more than a prisoner.
Her only escape is to lose herself in Nexis, the hugely popular virtual reality game her father created. In Nexis she meets Guster, a senior player who guides Ella through the strange and compelling new world she now inhabits. He offers Ella guidance, friendship…and something more. Something that allows her to forget about the “real” world, and makes her feel whole again.
But Nexis isn’t quite the game everyone thinks it is.
And it’s been waiting for Ella.

**Thank you so much to Entangled Teen for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

To me, virtual reality stories are hidden gems in the science fiction genre. As soon as I find one, I squeal with glee like a little child and immediately begin reading. However, Nexis is not one that I had to find. In fact, Nexis came to me, and as soon as I saw it, I knew that it was going to end up being yet another book that I loved. 

I was right.

Nexis follows a girl named Ella. Her father just created a virtual reality world in the future that they live in. If you couldn't tell by the title, the game is called Nexis. Basically, you can create a virtual character and be whoever you want and do whatever you want. The only catch is that you can only play for six hours and then you have to take an eighteen hour break. The game literally kicks you after six hours and won't let you log back on for another eighteen, which I feel our games today should do! (No, but really, I could still play Guitar Hero for 24 hours straight if my drowsiness never caught up with me.)

Ella's father, after creating the game, wins an award and the two of them end up being part of the Aristocracy. However, while the two of them are in their home that night, the pod crashes and Ella's father is killed. Ella survives, though she lost her legs and finds herself alone in a room. All she has is her robot whom she's known all her life. Therefore she decides to play Nexis for once. The book follows her adventures and discoveries while she's in the game, and outside the game.

Ella was an amazing character. Despite her horrible loss, she somehow managed to say pretty strong and fight for herself, which I extremely respected. I definitely felt horrible for her, though I won't go into details about exactly why because that may be a bit spoilery. I think that my favorite character was definitely Gus. He was just so caring and sweet towards Ella and he showed her what love really is. The two of them were absolutely perfect together.

I loved the idea of the virtual reality called Nexis. At one point, there was even a description about how everyone in the game can basically do what they want to do. One person may be fulfilling their dream while another is just going on quests. I found that just amazing. It could also be used as a way to actually fall in love with someone, because the Aristocrats just married whom their parents said they'd marry. I also really loved the world that Davroe has created. 

Honestly, a lot of dystopians have seemed kind of the same to me lately. Nexis, however, has definitely stood out to me and that's why I think it's worth the read. I definitely can't wait to see what happens in book two. I just hope the wait isn't too long, because I need more of Gus and Ella in my life ASAP!

1 comment:

  1. Wow this sounds a good dystopia! I'm off to finding new adventures so I guess this book is a good start to begin with. I'm so glad you loved it, Krystianna! Awesome review! More power to you, xx

    Ps. I'm a new follower on Bloglovin! (:

    Fiona | A Girl Between the Pages

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!