Friday, November 27, 2015

Book Review: For the Record by Charlotte Huang

21424692Title: For the Record
Author: Charlotte Huang
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Release Date: November 10, 2015
Genre: Contemporary
Source: Publisher for Review
Edition: eARC

If Almost Famous were a YA novel... a raw, honest debut celebrating music, friendship, romance, and life on the road.
Chelsea thought she knew what being a rock star was like... until she became one. After losing a TV talent show, she slid back into small-town anonymity. But one phone call changed everything
 Now she’s the lead singer of the band Melbourne, performing in sold-out clubs every night and living on a bus with three gorgeous and talented guys. The bummer is that the band barely tolerates her. And when teen heartthrob Lucas Rivers take an interest in her, Chelsea is suddenly famous, bringing Melbourne to the next level—not that they’re happy about that. Her feelings for Beckett, Melbourne’s bassist, are making life even more complicated. Chelsea only has the summer tour to make the band—and their fans—love her. If she doesn’t, she’ll be back in Michigan for senior year, dying a slow death. The paparazzi, the haters, the grueling schedule... Chelsea believed she could handle it. But what if she can’t?

**Thanks so much to Penguin RandomHouse for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

I'm a huge fan of music. Honestly, in this day in age, I don't know who isn't. It's uplifting and lets you forget about life for a little while, or even enjoy life more. It's a way to connect to others and know that you're not the only one going through something tough in your life. It's a way to bring the world together.

That's why I knew that For The Record was going to be a book that I loved.

The story follows a girl named Chelsea who has recently become the new lead singer for a band called Melbourne. The past lead singer, Hollis, decided to give singing a break because she wanted a normal life so she went off to college. Now, Chelsea has to try to find a way to fit in and please the fans as well as her new band  members. For all she knows, everyone will just want Chelsea back. 

Chelsea was such an awesome character and I loved how dorky she was. She actually made it onto a singing show a while back though nobody in her town appreciated it! Chelsea even said that it actually made her even more of an outcast, which made me feel bad for her. I'd be totally proud if someone from my town made it onto TV. One year, someone from my town actually made it on to Big Brother and there were literally parties at the local pizza joint where everyone would go and watch it together.

Okay, back to the review!

I think that my favorite character would have to be Beckett. He was extremely sweet to Chelsea and I loved how he always made her feel welcome, even though everything regarding going on tour was completely new to her. I also liked Mandy, Chelsea's friend. I found it hilarious that the band decided to call her Merch Mandy since she sold the band's merchandise for the tour.

After reading this book, I know that I'd probably read it again. I definitely suggest giving it a read if you're a music fan!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!