Friday, October 30, 2015

Book Review: Willful Machines by Tim Floreen

24885788Title: Willful Machines
Author: Tim Floreen
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release Date: October 20, 2015
Genre: Dystopian
Source: Netgalley
Edition: earc

In the near future, scientists create what may be a new form of life: an artificial human named Charlotte. All goes well until Charlotte escapes, transfers her consciousness to the Internet, and begins terrorizing the American public.
Charlotte's attacks have everyone on high alert-everyone except Lee Fisher, the closeted son of the US president. Lee has other things to worry about, like keeping his Secret Service detail from finding out about his crush on Nico, the eccentric, Shakespeare-obsessed new boy at school. And keeping Nico from finding out about his recent suicide attempt. And keeping himself from freaking out about all his secrets.
But when the attacks start happening at his school, Lee realizes he's Charlotte's next target. Even worse, Nico may be part of Charlotte's plan too.
As Lee races to save himself, uncover Charlotte's plan, and figure out if he can trust Nico, he comes to a whole new understanding of what it means to be alive... and what makes life worth living. 

**Thank you so much to SimonPulse for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

I was extremely eager to begin reading Willful Machines, as I've been spending a lot of my time reading contemporary this year. It was therefore a very refreshing read for me! The story follows Lee, who is son of the President of the United States in the future. In this future, the world has kind of gone backwards a bit. Girls and women have lost some rights among other things. It's kind of disturbing to think about, so I hope that never happens! Anyway, Lee has a crush on a new kid named Nico, who's completely different. The two of them begin hanging out a bit, with the help of his best friend. However, he starts getting attacked at school by machines, and everyone believes that Charlotte could possibly be behind it.

I found the idea of Charlotte extremely creepy! I mean, the idea of a computerized robot going out and attacking the United States, even going as far as attacking the Statue of Liberty, is pretty darn scary. It got me thinking about if that could ever actually happen, and I honest to God hope that it can't. Lee's mom was actually killed by Charlotte when she escaped the system, because everyone was going to shut Charlotte down. In other words, Lee and his father are Charlotte's number one haters. 

I loved that Lee was really into making machines. It was very steampunkish in that aspect, which I found really cool. He even had a little machine that he constantly kept in his pocket that would tug at his ear. There was a cute story behind that, but I won't give it away! It just made me want to meet Lee's mother even more. 

The relationship between Lee and Nico was awesome. This was actually my first book featuring a gay protagonist, and I loved every minute of it. The two of them were extremely cute and I loved watching the two of them gain a stronger relationship throughout the book. If you're in the mood for a very unique science fiction read, I highly suggest checking out Willful Machines.


2 comments:

  1. I like dystopian novels that get you thinking if it can actually happen or not. Although I'm not completely buying the idea of the world going backwards (women losing rights), I'm still quite interested about the world though.

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a quite different "dystopian" that the one we're used to based on the latest releases... I think I will add it to my tbr list. Thanks for the great review!

    Laura (psilovethatbook.blogspot)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!