Monday, October 26, 2015

Book Review: Bliss by Shay Mitchell and Michaela Blaney

24804487Title: Bliss
Author: Shay Mitchell & Michaela Blaney
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Release Date: October 6, 2015
Genre: Contemporary
Source: Publisher
Edition: Hardcover (336 pages)

Sophia Marcus, 21, has already mapped out every aspect of her glamorous life as a Hollywood actor on her vision board. But her life right now in Toronto is anything but exciting. Attending fruitless auditions during the day and working at a douche-y club at night, Sophia is starting to feel like she's going nowhere...slowly.
Demi Michaels, Sophia's best friend, didn't go to college after high school. Short of ideas for her own future, she puts her energy into building the perfect relationship with an older man. And when that relationship crashes and burns, Demi is left to pick up the pieces.
Sophia's friend (and Demi's frenemy) Leandra Hunting doesn't give a crap about hard work or a loving relationship. She has other plans for her future. After college graduation, Leandra sets out to travel the world in the yachts, planes and limos of ridiculously wealthy men. Will any of them be able to show her what love really means--if she can take off her Chanel sunglasses long enough to see it?
Set in the exotic, intoxicating worlds of Hollywood, Thailand, and London, Bliss paints a relatable portrait of life in your early twenties with equal parts optimism and fear, hope and disappointment, expectation and reality. It's the Age of Uncertainty when you can count on nothing, but, if you're lucky enough to have one truly great friend, you can survive just about anything.

**Thank you so much to St. Martin's Press for allowing me to read and review Bliss!**

I've been a huge fan of Pretty Little Liars ever since middle school when I found Sara Shepard's books. That's why as soon as I saw that Shay Mitchell was writing a book, I immediately knew that I had to read it. I have to say, I was not disappointed.

Bliss follows three friends: Demi, Sophia, and Leandra. When we first meet Demi, she finds that her boyfriend is a cheater who's been messing around on her, even though she loved him so deeply. Now she just wants to find her dream job and be in bliss one day since she never went to college. Sophia wants to be an actress and she's worked so hard trying to become one. The third friend, Leandra, is out traveling through most of the book. She and Demi aren't on the best of terms.

Out of all the characters, Sophia was my favorite because I loved her story. She wanted to be an actress and worked her butt off for that to happen, no matter what people said to her. I really liked her and respected her for that. Leandra was definitely a different kind of character. I loved that she was traveling a lot because I really want to travel the world a bit. I guess I was living vicariously through her in that sense. She definitely likes having a boyfriend though! Bliss was a quick read for me because I loved the characters so much and I felt like I began to know them all so well. I never once got bored with their stories and I always remembered which story matched with which girl, so I was never confused either. 

This book was a great tale of friendship and the twists and turns that life throws at you. I loved reading about all the different characters; I'm a sucker for dual point of views. Plus, I've never read a book that was mainly set in Canada, so that was something new for me. I'm definitely excited to read more by Shay and Michaela in the future. 


2 comments:

  1. this sounds like a lovely contemporary read with characters that are very distinct and quite easy to relate to. Great review!

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shay Mitchell wrote a book?! What?! How did I not know about this? This sounds fantastic! Definitely checking this one out!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!