Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Book Review: The Book of Kings by Cynthia Voigt

http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1424977161l/23834563.jpgTitle: The Book of Kings
Author: Cynthia Voigt
Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf
Release Date: September 8, 2015
Genre: Adventure
Source: Publisher for Review
Edition: ARC

Ever since Max’s parents were spirited away on a mysterious ship, he has longed to find them.

He’s solved case after case for other people in his business as “solutioneer.” And he’s puzzled out the coded messages sent by his father. He doesn’t know exactly what’s happened, but he knows his parents are in danger—and it’s up to Max to save them.

Max and his friends (and a few old foes) don disguises and set sail on a rescue mission. It will take all of Max’s cleverness and daring to outmaneuver the villains that lie in wait: power-hungry aristocrats, snake-handling assassins, and bombardier pastry chefs.

And behind the scenes, a master solutioneer is pulling all the strings.... Has Max finally met his match?

**Thank you to Penguin Random House for sending me a copy of this book for review consideration!**

 The Book of Kings was a wonderful end to the Mister Max trilogy! Though I'm sad to see all the characters go, I'm glad that it ended the way that it did. It was quite a wonderful middle grade series, and Max was such a great character.

In book three, Max has finally found out where his parents are, so he devises a plan to go and get his parents back. I absolutely loved how his grandmother was involved in this plan. He has to make his way to Andesia with everyone, as his father was named King, and his mother, the Queen. 

This book was just as amazing as the first two! Once again, I love Max's acting skills. He does anything that he has to do in order to get his parents back, so he's a pretty awesome kid. Also, I found it so cool that Joachim helped Max with his Andesia plan. I think that's why Joachim was my favorite character. That, and he's an artist; who doesn't love artists?

I've also just realized that I've yet to mention the beautiful illustrations in these books even though they were unfinished versions; they're absolutely incredible! Drawings are one of my favorite things about middle grade books, because they just add so much to the story. I loved looking at them and seeing how the characters were meant to be seen and portrayed. 

One thing that I love about this series was that I didn't really find any parts of it to be slow-moving or boring at all. I was always interested, in each and every book. That's why this series is highly recommended to all middle grade readers!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!