Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Book Review: A Little in Love by Susan Fletcher

24612579Title: A Little in Love
Author: Susan Fletcher
Publisher: Chicken House
Release Date: August 25, 2015
Genre: Historical Romance
Source: Publisher for Review
Edition: ARC

Inspired by Victor Hugo's classic, Les Miserables, A Little in Love beautifully conveys the heartbreaking story of street girl Eponine.
Paris, 1832
A girl lies alone in the darkness, clutching a letter to her heart.
Eponine remembers being a child: her swing and the peach tree, and the baby brother she loved. But mostly she remembers being miserable. Taught to lie and cheat, and to hate the one girl, Cosette, who might have been her friend.
Now, at sixteen, the two girls meet again, and Eponine has one more chance. But what is the price of friendship--the love of a boy?

**Thank you so much to Scholastic for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

In middle school, I was lucky enough to see an off-Broadway production of Les Miserables in Boston with my French class. It was such a wonderful play, though at the time I was quite young and didn't understand much of what was going on. A few years later, the movie version came out, and I could finally understand what was happening. It instantly became one of my favorite movies of all time. 

The one thing I love about A Little in Love is that it shows another side of Eponine. From watching the movie and seeing the play, all I could get was that she was a little annoying because she just kept pining over Marius. This novel made me see her in another light, which made me actually feel a little understanding towards her. I get why she was the way she was; it all makes sense. I also found that Gavroche was actually a Thernardier, which I never knew before! I loved that little guy!

From watching the movie and seeing the play, it was evident that Eponine definitely had a huge crush on Marius, and I liked how this novel gave more depth to that. Poor Eponine grew up in a life that was filled with thieving and stealing, all to make do in life. It wasn't even her choice; it was all because her parents told her to. Even as a young child she knew that what her parents were doing wasn't right. Her poor sister always went along with it though. The sister was truly a Thernardier at heart. 

I'm definitely glad that I got the chance to read this book, because it's made me fall in love with the story all over again. Next time I cuddle up in bed with hot chocolate and watch Les Mis, I'm going to be able to picture Eponine's life a little better. A Little in Love is heartfelt and shines light on Eponine, making the reader finally understand all the troubles she's endured through life.

2 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this book before, but it sounds super interesting! I have not read or watched Les Mis, but it is one of my goals to actually finish the book (even though it is very long and intimidating). I am very glad you liked this book and it seems like a great read. Nice review.
    ~Chioma @ Blue Books and Butterflies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! :) This book sounds so interesting! It has been receiving really good reviews. I may have to add this one to my TBR. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!