Monday, August 10, 2015

Book Review: Crank by Ellen Hopkins

15801339Title: Crank
Author: Ellen Hopkins
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry
Release Date: August 6, 2013
Genre: Contemporary
Source: Library
Edition: Paperback (576 pages)

Life was good
before I
met
the monster.


After,
life
was great,
At
least

for a little while.

Kristina Snow is the perfect daughter: gifted high school junior, quiet, never any trouble.

Then, Kristina meets the monster: crank. And what begins as a wild, ecstatic ride turns into a struggle through hell for her mind, her soul and her life.

Crank was an incredible read. I had not read anything by Ellen Hopkins before, though I had heard such wonderful things about her novels, which made me pick this one up when I was at the library. I flipped through it briefly and saw that it wouldn't take me that long to read it, so of course, I borrowed it from there. The second I got home I started reading it and I just couldn't put it down.

One thing I like about this book was that it dealt with darker topics: drugs. I mean, it's so beautifully written but it's about such an un-beautiful topic. I even went on to read her story behind writing this novel and saw that it hits close to home, so she definitely had a lot of insight when it came to this book.

I felt so bad for Kristina the entire time. Her father cared about her so little and seemed to even encourage her in a way to  life a party lifestyle. He just didn't care at all. Kristina's mother was so sweet and so caring, kind of the opposite of her father. It just seemed like she had such a wonderful life until she turned to drugs, and then it kind of spiraled out of control, which I guess is exactly what happens to drug addicts. I'm definitely going to be reading more of Ellen Hopkin's novels in the future.


I hate this feeling. Like I'm here, but I'm not. Like someone cares, but they don't. Like I belong somewhere else, anywhere but here, and escape lies just past that snowy window, cool and crisp as the February air.

Taking no chances means wasting your dreams.

You were a summer gift, one I'll always treasure. You were a dream I never wanted to wake up from. You opened my eyes to things I'll never really see. You're the best thing that will ever happen to me.

8 comments:

  1. She really writes in such a haunting way about addiction. I think the fact that it's in verse also plays into it....

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds really interesting!! I haven't read this author before either. May check it out!

    Btw: I nominated you in The Blogger Recognition Award!!
    http://thingslucyreads.blogspot.com/2015/08/the-blogger-recognition-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I've read two books by Ellen, but they were both adult titles. I have some her YA novels though and I really want to check them out. I also really like books in verse.

    -Lauren
    www.letsgetbeyondtolerance.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen this book so many times at my library and at bookstores, but I haven't given it a second thought. I'm not usually a contemporary fiction kind of girl, but I do like books that tackle difficult topics. I might have to give this one a try. Great review! :D

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love a beautifully written book. This sounds like a good book by Ellen Hopkins to start out with, so I just might :)

    i nominated you for the Blogger Recognition Award as well :) http://blowoutbooks.blogspot.com/2015/08/the-blogger-recognition-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this on my TBR list. Hopefully i'll get to it soon.
    I really enjoy your blog so I nominated you for The Blogger Recognition Award. You can find more info here:
    http://bogdanathebooknerd.blogspot.com/2015/08/the-blogger-recognition-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I still haven't read an Ellen Hopkins book - I'm just not sure where to start, but this sounds like a really good one :) I just need to jump in to her books I think!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds really interesting. I haven't read any of her books before, and I really want to try to read a book that is written in verse, so I'll definitely give this a try.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!