Thursday, August 13, 2015

Book Review: After the Red Rain by Barry Lyga with Peter Facinelli and Robert DeFranco

18588738Title: After the Red Rain
Author: Barry Lyga, Peter Facinelli, Robert DeFranco
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Release Date: August 4, 2015
Genre: Dystopian
Source: Netgalley
Edition: eARC

On the ruined planet Earth, where 50 billion people are confined to megacities and resources are scarce, Deedra has been handed a bleak and mundane existence by the Magistrate she works so hard for. But one day she comes across a beautiful boy named Rose struggling to cross the river--a boy with a secretive past and special abilities, who is somehow able to find comfort and life from their dying planet.
But just as the two form a bond, it is quickly torn apart after the Magistrate's son is murdered and Rose becomes the prime suspect. Little do Deedra and Rose know how much their relationship will affect the fate of everyone who lives on the planet.

 **Thank you so much to Little Brown for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

To start of this review, I thought I'd be pretty honest with you guys. I've barely read dystopians this year, and that's mainly because I was getting a bit bored with them. Don't worry, it's still my favorite genre, but the few that I had been reading had just gotten a bit repetitive! After the Red Rain has rekindled my love for the fantastic genre. 

The novel follows a young girl named Deedra, who lives in one of the Territories. She works every day building, but she has no idea what it is she's actually building along with the other workers. All she knows is that if she works, she gets food, which she needs to survive. A long time ago this thing called the Red Rain wiped out half of the world's population, so pretty much everybody lives in fear that it could happen again, even though it was so long ago. Nobody really goes outside either because it's "safer inside" and there's not a lot of air left outside anymore. 

One day while scavenging with her friend, Deedra saves a boy named Rose near the river. She automatically feels a connection with him and he feels the same towards her. The two of them find friendship, and Deedra comes to see that Rose is more than he lets on. 

This book was just so perfect in so many ways! I absolutely adored Deedra. She was such a strong character. Not once did I think that she was a wuss because she stood up for what she believed was right, which is totally badass. I mean, the girl even goes to places that others haven't been during scavenges. It's pretty intense, especially because she could be attacked at any moment. 

Rose was probably my favorite character, just because he was so sweet. There is more to him than meets the eye, but it's a good thing. Everything that I learned about him just made me like him more. I also liked how strong of a character that he was, just like Deedra. He's from the outside though he carries himself very well. He knows what he wants and he knows how to get it, though he refuses to injure people so he's a very innocent guy.

After the Red Rain is jam-packed with suspense, lovable characters, and a very in-depth futuristic world that I just couldn't get enough of. If you have even the smallest inkling of interest in this book, I suggest giving it a read, because you won't regret it.


4 comments:

  1. I will have to check this one out. I was surprised by the three authors - that seems a lot. And one is Peter Facinelli, which intrigues me, haha! I'm glad you enjoyed it and that it renewed your love for dystopian. I know what you mean, there's been a few misses lately. Thanks for the review, Krystianna. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard about this one before, but it does sound interesting! I have to admit I was a little wary when you mentioned the 12 territories... That sounds a little familiar. And I have to say that Rose is a strange name for a guy, but who knows what will happen in the future?! This definitely sounds like a book I'd enjoy! Great review! :D

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I don't know why I mentioned twelve territories. It was never mentioned how many there were!

      Delete
  3. I really loved how Deedra was such a good girl, too. She (like me when I was young) follows the rules and doesn't question things until Rose shows up, of course. I gave this story 4 stars as well. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!