So, I recently celebrated my three year blogaversary, which is extremely insane. I can't believe that it's been three years! Anyway, since I've been on Blogger for so long, I started thinking... what if I switched to self-hosted Wordpress? That's why I decided I'd write about it; I wanted your opinion on the whole thing!
I know that a few years ago there were tons of book bloggers that switched from wordpress or blogger over to self-hosted wordpress, and at the time I didn't understand why. Though as the years have gone on, I've realized that there's so many more options that self-hosted wordpress users have. First of all, they get to use all of Nose Graze's wonderful plug-ins, which makes me extremely jealous. I want the Ultimate Book Blogger Plug-in so badly! It will save so much time for me when I write reviews, and I feel like it will keep me much more organized.
On top of that, I feel like self-hosted wordpress blogs are so much prettier than blogger blogs and just wordpress blogs. I don't know why. I am obsessed with the Creative Whim blog design by Nose Graze, because I think that it makes blogs look so sophisticated. I really want to use it myself!
There have been some things stopping me from switching, but there are also a lot of pros too.
- The cost of hosting.
- I'm only a teenager and I'm still in high school. I don't have tons of money to be spending on my blog, and I can't get a job because I'm so busy with sports and homework in order to keep my grades up. I have no idea what the best cheapest host is either, because I don't want to find one that's affordable but then is utter crap. I also really have no idea how the host thing even works, really!
- The switch process.
- I've noticed that it is possible to make the switch yourself, without paying people, but I'd be so worried that I'd mess it all up. Therefore I don't know what to do about that.
- My design.
- If I switched, I'd have to completely come up with a new design, right? That would suck because I just designed this theme and have no idea how to use a Wordpress theme or how to make one your own.
- My followers.
- I know that switching over would stop GFC followers from coming with me. I know that a lot of people don't use the blogger homepage to read posts, but I still do! Especially because some blogs that I find and end up liking aren't on bloglovin', so I just use my blogger homepage to keep up with their posts, because I hate subscribing through e-mail. It just overflows my inbox.
- Sophisticated designs!
- I could finally use the Ultimate Book Blogger Plugin.
- I think that having my own domain and being self-hosted would give me more freedom to mess around with the look of my blog, and it would help with branding myself.
While doing some research, I found many posts from Ashley at Nose Graze as well as many posts from other blogs who have made the switch, such as Paper Riot and Girl in the Pages. They both seem to enjoy the new interface! I also found two different hosts who seem to be affordable, such as Twilight Sleep and Book Host.
- Costs between $20-$50 a year, depending on the package choice (though I have no idea which package I'd have to choose, I'm seriously clueless when it comes to all of this).
- Transferring the blog would cost $65, though the Ultimate Book Blogger Plug-In would also be included, which is awesome.
- $20 a month for hosting
- Comes with the Tweak Me Theme and the Ultimate Book Blogger Plug In, as well as tons of Ashley's amazing designs and plug-ins that I'd have to pay for otherwise.
- Blogger to Wordpress transfer is absolutely free of cost, if I pay for the hosting, which is awesome.
Since I'm so clueless about all of this, I thought I'd ask you guys who happen to be self-hosted, what your thoughts are about all of this.
Is it worth it to switch to self-hosted? Did you transfer everything yourself, or did you pay someone to do it for you? How much did all of it cost in the end? Who do you recommend for a host?