Friday, July 24, 2015

Book Review: The Walls Around Us by Nova Ren Suma

18044277Title: The Walls Around Us
Author: Nova Ren Suma
Publisher: Algonquin Young Readers
Release Date: March 24, 2015
Source: Netgalley
Edition: eARC

The Walls Around Us is a ghostly story of suspense told in two voices-one still living and one long dead. On the outside, there's Violet, an eighteen-year-old dancer days away from the life of her dreams when something threatens to expose the shocking truth of her achievement. On the inside, within the walls of a girls' juvenile detention center, there's Amber, locked up for so long she can't imagine freedom. Tying these two worlds together is Orianna, who holds the keys to unlocking all the girls' darkest mysteries.
We hear Amber's story and Violet's, and through them Orianna's, first from one angle, then from another, until gradually we begin to get the whole picture-which is not necessarily the one that either Amber or Violet wants us to see.
Nova Ren Suma tells a supernatural tale of guilt and innocence, and what happens when one is mistaken for the other. 
This book follows two different characters: Violet and Amber. Violet is a ballet dancer whose best friend was Orianna, who was the best dancer at her dancing company. The two of them did a lot together and always made pacts together. On the other hand, Amber is in jail under the terms that she killed her stepfather. She ends up rooming with Orianna in jail. Throughout both of the girl's stories, we get to learn more about this girl named Orianna.

Before I go on to tell my thoughts about this book, I thought I'd take a second to recognize the wonderful writing skills that Nova Ren Suma possesses. Her writing is just so lyrical and beautiful! I loved it so much. It definitely made me want to read more by her, so I'll be sure to check out Imaginary Girls. 

I found this book to be kind of confusing at times, though after finishing it and processing the story for a bit, I feel that it was kind of supposed to be. I don't think that everything was meant to be clear... I think some of it is meant to be up to the reader. At times I had no clue what was going on, though I kept on reading anyway. If you're not someone who can do this, I don't know how much you'd enjoy it!

If you're a fan of the show Orange is the New Black, I definitely suggest checking this one out. It definitely had that sort of vibe to it, especially when the story was told through Amber's point of view! I also thought I'd say that I didn't find this story to be predictable at all, which was great. I think I may have to give this one a reread sometime in the future to make sure I understood it all correctly!

5 comments:

  1. Great review! I have this on my TBR and will hopefully read it soon. Sometimes I find it quite frustrating when a lot of explanation is left to the reader but it can work sometimes too. I'm definitely intrigued! :)

    -- Nicola Reads YA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book earlier this year, and I think the one part that fell flat for me was the ending, because I had NO IDEA what happened! (Do you?) But I loved the story itself, and the mystery behind Orianna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never even heard of this book, but it sounds like it might be worth checking out! I love it when an author just really blows me away with mad writing skills! I've read a couple books that I really had to think through and process after and sometimes it really works and I love that feeling. Great review!

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY I'm glad you liked it!! I agree the writing just completely blew me away. How do people write like this??? But really, I was confused a lot in this book too. I needed someone to explain the ending to me and I'm still not sure I 100% get it. What I thought happened, other people took it as something different. I guess like you said, it's up to the reader... but I need to KNOW!!! Still a really good book. Very unpredictable like you said! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like it is worth a read, I know it sounds daft but I like a book that befuddles me from time to time! Keeps me on my toes!!

    Great review!

    Heather | Random Redheaded Ramblings

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!