Friday, July 17, 2015

Book Review: They're Not Like Us (Volume 1) by Eric Stephenson

25275114Title: They're Not Like Us
Author: Eric Stephenson
Publisher: Image Comics
Release Date: July 21, 2015
Genre: Fantasy, Graphic Novel
Source: Netgalley
Edition: ebook (144 pages)

Eisner-nominated NOWHERE MEN writer ERIC STEPHENSON teams up with red-hot artist SIMON GANE for an all-new ongoing series! We all have advantages over one another, but what if you were capable of things most of us can only imagine? What would you do-and who would you be? A doctor? An athlete? A soldier? A hero? Everyone has to make a choice about how to use the abilities they're born with... but they're not like us. 

 **Thank you to Image Comics for allowing me to read this book in exchange for an honest review!**

As you may or may not know, I'm a huge fan of graphic novels. I don't read them as often as I'd like to honestly, mainly because I don't know how I feel about spending ten or more dollars on a small graphic novel that I will probably read in two hours or less and then never pick up again. That's why I usually get mine at the library. However, this is one that I'd definitely spend money on because it's worth the ten dollars.

They're Not Like Us follows Syd, who right off the bad decides to jump off a building in order to kill herself, though she fails. She wakes up in the hospital with The Voice, who helps her escape and brings her to a special house filled with other people who say they're just like her. All these people that are there have special powers. Syd finds out that she's telepathic, meaning that even though her whole life people have told her that she's crazy, she's definitely not. It's just that she can hear things all the time; it's a superpower. The comic series follows Syd as she discovers that there's more to the Voice than he lets on.

I absolutely loved this graphic novel. The artwork was superb and the writing was great. I loved how towards the end of every single comic in the collection there would be a part where the colors of the drawings became darker as Syd reflected on everything that she learned that day. I think those were definitely my favorite sections. 

I also loved all the superpowers and learning more about each character. I have to say I didn't really like any of the characters except for The Voice and Syd though. I especially hated Maisie-she got on my nerves! She was just so eager to do things for the Voice. However, I feel that the reader wasn't exactly supposed to like her completely. I thought Moon was really cool too-she was an illusionist and could make others see her completely different, as well as other people around her. I'd love to have that superpower!

I can't wait for volume two of this series. I'm eagerly awaiting to find out what happens next!


2 comments:

  1. Great review, Krystianna! I'm not so much into Graphic Novels (yet) and only read the first 2 "books" of The Walking Dead ... which were awesome! I also have the Vampire Academy GN on my shelves but haven't picked it up yet, I don't even know why. GN are freaking awesome!

    I really like the cover of the one you read and it sounds pretty cool too! Maybe I should get my hands on it? Hmmmm, we'll see! :P

    Yvonne @ A World Between Folded Pages

    ReplyDelete
  2. The superpower aspect and looking deep at the characters both sound well done and great to hear that you enjoyed this one

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!