Friday, July 3, 2015

Book Review: Storm Siren by Mary Weber

18806259Title: Storm Siren 
Author: Mary Weber
Publisher: Thomas Nelson/HarperCollins
Release Date: August 19, 2014
Genre: Fantasy
Edition: Hardcover (320 Pages)

In a world at war, a slave girl's lethal curse could become one kingdom's weapon of salvation. If the curse-and the girl-can be controlled.
As a slave in the war-weary kingdom of Faelen, seventeen-year-old Nym isn't merely devoid of rights, her Elemental kind are only born male and always killed at birth-meaning, she shouldn't even exist.
Standing on the auction block beneath smoke-drenched mountains, Nym faces her fifteenth sell. But when her hood is removed and her storm-summoning killing curse revealed, Nym is snatched up by a court adviser and given a choice: be trained as the weapon Faelen needs to win the war, or be killed.
Choosing the former, Nym is unleashed into a world of politics, bizarre parties, and rumors of an evil more sinister than she's being prepared to fight... not to mention the handsome trainer whose dark secrets lie behind a mysterious ability to calm every lightning strike she summons.
But what if she doesn't want to be the weapon they've all been waiting for?

**Thank you to WunderkindPR for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!** 

Storm Siren was an extremely unique read. The book follows a girl named Nym who happens to be an Elemental, though she's extremely rare because no girl has ever been an Elemental before; it's always a guy. Plus, she shouldn't even be alive, because when boys are born as Elementals they are normally killed off, which makes her even more of a rarity. Nym also has white hair, so she sticks out like a sore thumb.

This book was never slow at all, which was a definite plus. It even started off with introducing the reader to Nym while she's on the auction blog, and a few pages later her powers are put into action as she accidentally murders a little girl while meaning to cause harm to a different guy. She knows that she's different and shouldn't be alive, so she mainly accepts her fate. 

However, when she wakes up in a fancy house only to be greeted by a blind servant who later becomes her friend, Nym realizes that maybe there's another way to survive in her world. She's offered the chance to become a weapon of defense in the war in order to protect her land and the people as a way of making up for the murder she had caused. Of course, Nym takes this offer up and begins training as a weapon immediately.

At training, the reader and Nym are both introduced to Colin, who is the servant girl's (Breck's) brother. Colin is really quite the character, as he speaks in a certain dialect and always tries to impress Nym. He's also really cocky about his talents, which is extremely hilarious at times!

Even though Colin was lovable, I think my favorite character would have to be Eogan. He's the guy who's paid to train both Colin and Nym, yet he has a calming talent that seems to stop Nym from completely destroying things, which is really cool. I'd want to have a connection like that with someone! He was very charming and clever, and I also loved how caring he was. I'd love to meet him in real life!
I was so sad when this book came to close because I definitely want to read more, so I am looking forward to Siren's Fury! If you're looking for a fantasy read that's filled with war, action, and lovable characters, I'd highly suggest giving this book a go!


2 comments:

  1. I have this on my TBR so I'm glad it's a good read. Gives me something to look forward to! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you just read this too! :) I just binged both books and I really enjoyed them! I LOVED Eogan. He is a new book boyfriend for sure! The fact paced nature of this book was what appealed to me most- we were never bored! :D Great review hun!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!