Sunday, July 19, 2015

Blog Tour: Stone Rider by David Hofmeyr


Today I am lucky enough to be part of the Stone Rider blog tour! Read on to hear about how awesome the book is. :)

Title: Stone Rider
Author: David Hofmeyr
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Release Date: July 14, 2015
Genre: Dystopian, Science Fiction
Source: Publisher
Edition: Hardcover (336 pages)

In the vein of The Outsiders and the early Western novels of Elmore Leonard, this inventive debut novel, a cross between the cult classic Mad Max movie series and Cormac McCarthy’s The Road, blends adrenaline-fueled action with an improbable yet tender romance to offer a rich and vivid portrayal of misfits and loners forced together in their struggle for a better life.

Adam Stone wants freedom and peace. He wants a chance to escape Blackwater, the dust-bowl desert town he grew up in. Most of all, he wants the beautiful Sadie Blood. Alongside Sadie and the dangerous outsider Kane, Adam will ride the Blackwater Trail in a brutal race that will test them all, body and soul. Only the strongest will survive.

The prize? A one-way ticket to Sky-Base and unimaginable luxury.

And for a chance at this new life, Adam will risk everything.
**Thank you to Delacorte Press for allowing me to read this book in exchange for an honest review!**

Stone Rider was my first dystopian read in a while, and I have to say, the read was completely worth it! It follows Adam Stone, who I immediately loved as a character since the first page. He's been through a lot in his life and he's currently living with his brother, Frank. Basically, in this future world, there's a place called Sky-Base that is like a haven and everyone wants to go there. In order to go there, you have to win enough points from winning races, which is why so many people compete in these deadly races.

Adam's older brother used to compete in the races until he injured himself badly, so Adam takes over the racing since he was given his brother's byke. He signs up to participate in the Blackwater Trail race, which is the hardest race there is. The winner will automatically get to go to Sky-Base because of how many points the winner gets. Sadly, so many people don't even make it to the finish line in this race because of how deadly and scary it is.

I loved this book! Adam was the best main character because he kept persevering even when things got hard for him. Sadie Blood was a cool character too. Her father owned the local byke shop and also ran the races for Sky-Base, so she decided to participate in the race and so did her brother, Levi, who was a fan favorite. However, Levi isn't the nicest person. Adam also makes two other friends: Kane, who nobody knows much about because he just claims he's from the other side, and then there's also Nate, who is a young boy who I instantly loved. He was incredibly innocent and just kept talking about his father and how he was hoping to win the race as well, so that he could go to Sky-Base.

Even though I absolutely loved this book, I wish that there was more information about how the world got to be the way that it was. I didn't exactly know much about Sky-Base except for the rumors that the characters had all heard about, so I wish there was more about that as well. There was a lot of information on the bykes that everyone rode though, and that was incredibly interesting. There was even a lot of information in the back of the book, which was a super cool element! I'd definitely recommend giving it a read.

5 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this one before but I'm totally intrigued, I never would have guessed it was a dystopian either! A shame that there wasn't a lot of world building but the characters sound pretty cool, and the writing seems like it would make the details easy to imagine. Nice review!
    Alise @ Readers in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you enjoyed this dystopian book Krystianna! I've heard variable things but I received this one for review. The racing sounds interesting, with some strong characters. Too bad about the world building though, but I'll keep that in mind when I read it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dystopian novels!!!! I live for dystopian novels (not literally), but you get what I mean. So happy to hear that this book falls under that genre! Adam sounds like a very interesting character, and I love the plot of the book because it's very intriguing! I'll look this book up in Goodreads and read it myself, if I have the time! Thanks for the convincing review :D

    Jillian @ Jillian's Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me of another YA dystopian, and I've totally forgotten what it's called. This actually sounds far more engaging though, I really enjoy character based dystopians, but sounds as though it could have done with a little more world building as well, or at least part back story. So glad you enjoyed this Krystianna, fabulous review! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right, not knowing about the world and how it came to be does matter and enhances the story overall I think. Perhaps this is the first of a series? And the author plans to reveal all later?

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!