Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Book Review: No Such Person by Caroline B. Cooney

23395340Title: No Such Person
Author: Caroline B. Cooney
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Release Date: July 14, 2015
Genre: Mystery
Source: Netgalley
Edition: eARC

Miranda and Lander Allerdon are sisters. Miranda is younger, a dreamer, and floating her way through life. Lander is older, focused, and determined to succeed. As the girls and their parents begin another summer at their cottage on the Connecticut River, Miranda and Lander's sibling rivalry is in high gear. Lander plans to start medical school in the fall, and Miranda feels cast in her shadow.
When the Allerdons become entangled in an unimaginable tragedy, the playing field is suddenly leveled. As facts are revealed, the significance of what has happened weighs heavily on all. How can the family prepare for what the future may hold. 

**Thank you to PenguinRandomHouse for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!** 

As a kid, I read quite a lot of Caroline B. Cooney's books, so when I first saw that this one was releasing, I had quite high hopes. No Such Person follows Miranda and her older sister. Miranda believes that she witnessed someone attempting to murder someone on the lake, though everyone else that saw it claimed that the man was just being clumsy and that it's wrong to make assumptions like that.

Lander, Miranda's older sister, begins hanging out with the guy of which Miranda believes tried to commit a murder. Lander kind of has the hots for him even though they've not known each other very long, at all. The thing is, the night that Lander and the guy go out, someone ends up dead and lander admits to shooting a gun, meaning that she's the number one suspect. The reader gets to find out if Miranda really did commit the murder or not through reading, and if she didn't, then who did?

I usually don't read mysteries often, mainly because they're either too easy to guess or the ending is dissatisfying. That actually wasn't the case with this book. I had no idea who actually did it, though once I found out who committed the murder, it all clicked in my mind, which was an awesome feeling. The entire book I was wondering who did it, because everything pointed to Lander.

I did find this book to be a bit confusing at times though, especially because at the beginning of every chapter the perspective is Lander's point of view, which I didn't exactly know in the beginning, because I thought Miranda was the main character. I had trouble realizing that it was Lander's point of view until a few chapters in, but once I found out, her point of view really added to the story because it flashed back and forth in time which was awesome.

One of my favorite things about this book was that it revolved a lot around family and trust, which is definitely important. After Lander ended up in jail, Miranda's family realized that they had to stop spending so much money because as soon as something bad happened they had no money to bail poor Lander out, so that definitely brought the family a bit closer. I did find this book to be eerily creepy, especially because I'm only a few states over from Connecticut! The reason that I'm giving this book three stars isn't because I didn't enjoy it, because trust me, I did. It just didn't blow me away like I thought it would. However, I will definitely read more of Caroline B. Cooney's novels.

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I love mysteries and suspense! I am hoping to read Dark Places by Gillian Flynn soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab review! I was just send this one from Random House too. I am excited to read it. :)

    - Beckie @ Bittersweet Enchantment

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!