Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Book Review: Bomb by Sarah Mussi

23604128Title: Bomb
Author: Sarah Mussi
Publisher: Hodder Children's Books
Release Date: May 7, 2015
Source: Netgalley
Genre: Thriller
Edition: eARC

When Genesis goes on a blind internet date, she just wants to get over her ex-boyfriend Naz. She just wants someone to like her again. But when Genesis wakes up the morning after the date, she can't remember a thing. She doesn't know where she is, or how she got there. And she can hardly move because she is strapped into some kind of body armour...
Before she has time to figure it out, she receives an order through an earpiece stuck in her ear. And then a voice sounds in her head: 'You have been chosen for an assignment... The vest you're wearing is packed with high explosives. And with one mobile call we can detonate it.'
To her horror Genesis has become an agent of mass destruction, a walking weapon in the hands of a terrorist cell.
The countdown to detonation has begun: Genesis must re-examine everyone and everything she loves and make terrifying choices... in the face of certain death.
A gutsy, compelling and chilling thrill-ride.

 **Thank you to Hodder Children's Books for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

As soon as I saw this book on Netgalley, I had the urge to read it and download it because it just sounded so incredibly amazing and one-of-a-kind. I mean, this poor girl wakes up with a vest full of explosives stuck to her chest that she can't take off. She's alone and there's a voice that is constantly talking into her ear and telling her what to do and the voice even proves that if she doesn't do what she's told, she will face the death penalty. 

The book started off well, and was very fast-paced which was good. However, after about 40%, I seemed to have lost interest a bit. It's nothing against the book, I just didn't seem to be enjoying the book as much and I don't know why. The main character wasn't annoying or anything, but I feel like if I was her I'd be freaking out a bit more than she was in the beginning. She tried finding ways around the voice in her ear hearing the things she said, but I feel like she wasn't trying hard enough. Plus, the voice kept saying that it'd kill her if she talked to others and every time she did talk to others, it never did. 

I guess if you're a fan of hardcore thriller books then I'd give this one a read. I usually am a fan of those, but for some reason this book just didn't stick with me. On that note, I'd still be open to reading future books written by Sarah Mussi. 


7 comments:

  1. The book sounds super interesting, and something like an action movie or something. It's upsetting to hear about how it got a bit boring.... I understand how that would happen due to it not being as realistic...

    Thanks for the review!
    - Farah @MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it to be pretty boring, too. And the narration was a bit stiff. I guess I just wished the plot had been a little more fleshed out, with more details added? I don't know. I just never felt that heart pounding thrill that a book like this should have given me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you said from the blurb and the cover I would have picked this one too
    I'm sorry it wasn't as good as you expected

    Ruty @Reading...Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to give this a read, just based on how unique it is. There aren't many books around that touch on 'terrorism' really, I think it's probably a sensitive subject that most authors probably wouldn't explore sadly. It sounded like it needed a bit more intensity though, if you've got someone making threats in your ear and being strapped to explosives, you expect them to follow through. Sorry you couldn't have enjoyed this more Krystianna, glad to see you liked it enough to want to try her other titles. Wonderful review! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear, I'm sorry that it disappointed you after so long. I hate when a book gets like that. I agree though it does seem like one of a kind novel. I wonder what it was like from Genesis's point of view, I am indeed curious. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have pictured it being more action packed and thrilling too. Sad to hear it wasn't a favorite of yours. The cover is pretty cool.

    -Melissa @ BookBFF

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't heard of this one, but I would definitely be freaking out if that happened to me. I hate it when books lose steam halfway through. I think I'll skip this one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!