Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Book Review: I Am Princess X by Cherie Priest

17408897Title: I Am Princess X
Author: Cherie Priest
Publisher: Arthur A. Levine Books
Release Date: May 26, 2015
Source: Edelweiss
Edition: eARC

Best friends, big fans, a mysterious webcomic, and a long-lost girl collide in this riveting novel, perfect for fans of both Cory Doctorow and Sarah Dessen; illustrated throughout with comics.
Once upon a time, two best friends created a princess together. Libby drew the pictures, May wrote the tales, and their heroine, Princess X, slayed all the dragons and scaled all the mountains their imaginations could conjure.
Once upon a few years later, Libby was in the car with her mom, driving across the Ballard Bridge on a rainy night. When the car went over the side, Libby passed away, and Princess X died with her.
Once upon a now: May is sixteen and lonely, wandering the streets of Seattle, when she sees a sticker slapped in a corner window.
Princess X?
When May looks around, she sees the Princess everywhere: Stickers. Patches. Graffiti. There's an entire underground culture, focused around a webcomic at IAmPrincessD.com. The more May explores the webcomic, the more she sees disturbing similarities between Libby's story and Princess X online. And that means that only one person could have started this phenomenon--her best friend Libby, who lives. 

**Thank you to Scholastic for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

Though many of you may not know it, I'm the biggest comic book fan. I love reading comics and graphic novels about zombies, video gaming adventures, and superheroes. They're just super fun and interesting to read. That's why the moment that I heard about this book, I knew that I would absolutely love it. I'm here to tell you that my hunch was right. 

May and Libby were close friends when they were younger. They created the character of Princess X, who went on tons of dazzling adventures with her converse and katana sword. Libby and May continued to be friends until the point where Libby got in an accident and died, as her body was found dead by a river. May just doesn't believe that she's really gone, especially a few years later when she finds drawings of Princess X around town. 

After Libby's death, May went over to Libby's house to get the Princess X stories but the stories were already gone, so it was strange to suddenly have a character so secretive start turning up as graffiti and wall art. May even began to find people who had Princess X on their shirts as pins. Turns out that there's a whole website dedicated to Princess X, but they are all completely new stories. As May begins to search more and look into this website, she realizes that it's interwoven with hidden easter eggs and clues, which leads her to believe that Libby really is alive. 

My favorite aspect of this book would have to be that it perfectly combines comic pictures and storytelling. As a reader, you'll be reading the book and then as May begins to read the Princess X stories online, you'll be able to read them too because they were drawn into the book. It was an overall great experience, because instead of May explaining to others what she had read, you got to read it first hand. 

I also loved the friendship between May and Trick. May calls Trick after finding his number on a paper to call in case of computer problems because she couldn't get her computer to turn on. The two of them become close friends. For some reason, I kept expecting a romance to spark between the two, but I love how Priest kept the two of them just as friends. It was very refreshing to read because of that.

I know for sure that I'll be buying a print copy of this (and probably a few extras too, to give to friends) and I definitely think that you should too! I'll be sure to read more by Priest in the future.

 Have you read this book? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

16 comments:

  1. I love Cherie Priest's books! I'll have to pick this one up when it hits shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This author is new to me and I think I should try this author after reading your awesome review!!
    Haniya,
    booknauthors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This author is new to me and I think I should try this author after reading your awesome review!!
    Haniya,
    booknauthors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This author is new to me and I think I should try this author after reading your awesome review!!
    Haniya,
    booknauthors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen this around but the cover is way too badass lol Glad you loved it as much as you did! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review!
    Really glad to see you enjoyed this one. My friends and I just saw something about this this morning and now we all really want to read it. We're thinking about doing it for our book club.
    This just looks really cool and i'm hoping to read it soon.
    Olivia @ Fluttering Pages

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started this book but didn't finsish it. i still will go back and finish but it didn't grab me as muc h as I wanted it too. great review though glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First I must say great review, I really want to read this book now! Second (this is a blogging question) how do you get that blue box around the blurb of the book, I've been wanting to to it to my blog but don't know how too.
    Happy reading,
    KayCee K.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am really looking forward to this one! I've read other books by Cherie Priest (Boneshaker, Bloodshot), but this sounds completely different. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really really enjoyed this one, I need to get my hands on a finished copy for sure. I loved the mix of web comics with the storyline. The friendship is on point for sure! I agree completely, that it was really nice that romance took a back seat to this storyline. Great review :)

    Ashley @The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like a great book, awesome review :-)

    Aditi @Book Stop Corner

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review. I've been on the edge, hesitating on reading this one but your review inspiried me. I'm adding it to my TBR as we speak. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so excited to read this one! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. There seems to be a lot of new and exciting graphic novels coming out lately (even this now isn't all comics)! This and Nimona have been on my radar lately. Maybe I should start looking more into this new trend!
    - Lina @ Every Book a World

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds awesome! Will add to my TBR!!

    DDS @ b00kr3vi3ws

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for your thoughts on this one. I've been wondering about it and now no more. I'm putting it on my want list.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!