Monday, June 15, 2015

Book Review: Forever For a Year by B.T. Gottfred

22718754Title: Forever For a Year
Author: B.T. Gottfred
Publisher: Henry Holt & Co.
Release Date: July 7, 2015
Source: Netgalley
Edition: eARC

When Carolina and Trevor meet on their first day of school, something draws them to each other. They gradually share first kisses, first touches, first sexual experiences. When they're together, nothing else matters. But one of them will make a choice, and the other a mistake, that will break what they thought was unbreakable. Both will wish that they could fall in love again for the first time... but first love, by definition, can't happen twice.
Told in Carolina and Trevor's alternating voices, this is an up-close-and-personal story of two teenagers falling in love for the first time, and discovering it might not last forever.

**Thank you to Henry Holt & Co. for allowing me to read this book in exchange for an honest review!**

I had been anticipating the release of Forever For a Year for quite a long time, so when I saw it on Netgalley, I got extremely excited and instantly started reading it.

I was thrown into the wonderful experience that is high school. Carolina is going into her first year of high school. She went all through middle school as someone who wasn't popular at all, along with her best friend. Now, she's making it her mission to become popular and well-known with the help of her best friend's older sister Katherine, who just happens to be the most popular boy in school. 

On her first day, she meets Trevor, who sits right next to her. Over some time, the two of them end up really liking each other and feeling as if they're soulmates. They go through everything together as they fall madly in love.

One thing I loved about this book was the alternating viewpoints. I've always been a sucker for those because I love seeing the story through two or more different character's eyes. In this case, the two characters were Trevor and Carolina. Both of them had difficult home lives, so they related to each other pretty well and were always there for each other, which I thought was wonderful.

Being a high school junior myself, I have to say that some kids are actually like Carolina who go into their freshmen year with the goal to be popular by impressing the older guys, namely the seniors. It's kind of sick and disgusting, especially because the seniors tend to just use the younger girls to their advantage and against the younger girl's will. Therefore I found this book to be incredibly raw and honest, which I definitely appreciate. 

This entire book was a whirlwind and I flew right through it in about three hours. It was so intriguing and I just had to know what was going to happen next in the relationship with Trevor and Carolina. The only thing I was upset about was that ending because it didn't go how I thought it would go at all. However, great books always tend to do that! I'd highly suggest giving this one a read, though it may not be for everyone, because there is the occasional swearing, sex scenes, and of course there's the high school search for popularity which I know some readers find annoying. 


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful review! I saw this in NG as well, but I didn't request it. But I'll wait for the release instead because I want to own a copy right now :) I really love the idea of the book! Carolina and Trevor sound so cute together, and I like how the book has alternating POVs. I'm not a fan of alternating POVs all too well, but most of the time it works for me. Hopefully this one will! By the way, I had no idea senior boys take advantage of freshmen girls in reality o.O I mean, I'm a sophomore and I was never aware of it. Anyway, lovely review! Can't wait to read this for myself :)

    Jillian @ Jillian's Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. The couple definitely sounds cute, especially with how they develop feelings for each other over time. But yeah, it sounds pretty disturbing with the senior boys using younger girls! Glad you enjoyed it though Krystianna!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sound of this story! You really sold me when you mention the raw honesty to it. It's great to read about teens making their own choices (albeit good OR bad). I am DEFINITELY adding this to my TBR! Thanks for stopping by earlier and I'm glad you were interested in Last Year's Mistake. I think it might run on the same lines as this book.

    Last Year's Mistake might not be for everyone - it portrays teens who make some choices that people may either see has stupid/juvenile or accurate to real life teenagers. I think theres a very true-to-actual-life quality about the characters/story! Definitely recommend you check it out for yourself! Please come back and let me know how you like it if you do read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this sounds like a great story. Glad you enjoyed it :)

    Claire @ Book Blog Bird

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!