Monday, June 8, 2015

Book Review: '89 Walls by Katie Pierson

25136810Title: '89 Walls
Author: Katie Pierson
Publisher: Wise Ink
Release Date: June 5, 2015
Source: Netgalley
Genre: Contemporary
Edition: eARC

College is not in the cards for Seth. He spends his minimum wage on groceries and fakes happiness to distract his mom from the MS they both know will kill her. It's agony to carry around a frayed love note for a girl who's both out of his league and beneath his dignity.
Quinn's finishing high school on top. But that cynical, liberal guy in her social studies class makes her doubt her old assumptions. Challenging the rules now, though, would a) squander her last summer at home, b) antagonize her conservative dad, and c) make her a hypocrite.
Seth and Quinn's passionate new romance takes them both by surprise. They keep it a secret: it's too early to make plans and too late not to care. But it's 1989. As politics suddenly get personal, they find themselves fighting bare-fisted for their beliefs-and each other-in the clear light of day. 

**Thank you to Wise Ink for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!** 

'89 Walls was such a unique book; unlike anything I had read before. I flew right through it after about 40% because it was just that interesting.

Seth has had a crush on Quinn for the longest time, though she has a boyfriend. He ends up writing her a note in class and gives it to her, in which he professes how much he likes her. After a while, Quinn decides to break up with her boyfriend (who took the breakup seemingly well, if I do say so myself) and starts pursuing a relationship with Seth.

I loved Seth and Quinn together. Even though they were so different, I think they were good for each other. They each had what the other lacked, which makes a great relationship. However, at times they bickered a lot, which is bound to happen in a relationship. It was great that they always bounced back. However, if I was Quinn, I'd have a hard time forgiving Seth for some of the words that he used toward her at times.

I definitely enjoyed the political aspect of this. I took AP US History this year, so we learned tons about the Cold War, so I found the debates between all the characters regarding the Cold War to be really interesting because I actually understood what they were talking about. At the end of the day, it was great that Seth and Quinn could put aside their beliefs to see the person that they each really were.

I'd definitely recommend giving this book a read, as it definitely sheds some light on topics that would've been discussed in 1989!


Be sure to check out my interview with the author, Katie Pierson, HERE!

11 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this one, but it sounds cute. I always like an opposites attract romance, I may have to give this one a try. Great review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this around. it sounds pretty interesting especially that involves some political talks. I definitely want to give this a try. Great review! :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this one but now you have me curious! Seth and Quinn sound so cute <33

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually have a copy of this book, but I felt like I didn't want to give it a try since I lost my enthusiasm in it. But reading your review and seeing how much you like it, I might want to give this a shot because your review isn't the only positive one I've seen so far. :) Thanks for sharing! I really might give this a shot one day!

    Jillian @ Jillian's Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. First time I heard about this book.. Contemporary books were not my kind of tea, but after reading (confession and confession of a queen bee),although political talks have me yawning, I think I might actually like this story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never seen this book before. Huh. it is officially on my radar now! Great review! :D

    Amber @ The Book Bratz

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds really good, and it's definitely going on my list! Thanks so much for the great review and for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a really amazing book! I always felt that books and movies never really deal with the topic of political differences for fear of offending anybody, so this story seems unique. Thank you for sharing it!
    Esty @ Boarding with Books

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hadn't heard about this book, seems really good. I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I passed up on reviewing this book because of the historical aspect. I assumed the whole romance was just going to be a backdrop for the whole political/historical aspect of the story. But glad to know it was a good read. Great review, Krystianna! :D

    Blessie @ Mischievous Reads

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you enjoyed this! I received a review copy too and I did enjoy it. I really liked the historical aspect and I learned so much about US history and politics. It's nice learning something new whilst reading.

    Lauren @ myexpandingbookshelf.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!