Sunday, May 31, 2015

Interview with Nikki of The Bibliophibian!

Today I have an awesome interview with Nikki of the Bibliophibian for all of you! 

About Nikki & her blog:
Intro to me/my blog -- hm. That's kind of tough because I read a bit of everything. If you like following the kind of blog where you're never sure what will pop up next, The Bibliophibian might be a good bet, because I never know from minute to minute what I'll be interested in. I review fantasy, SF, historical fiction, non-fiction, comics, romance, YA, literature... It all depends on what's crossed my path recently.

Onto the questions!

1. Hardcover or Paperback? 
I tend to prefer ease of reading, so probably paperback. If it's a hardcover, I'll take off the dust jacket because I hate getting them crumpled while I read. I'm really careful with my books, so a paperback stays in pretty good condition for me anyway. Unless my mother borrows it, and then I hope it's a hardcover every time, because I swear I can hear my books screaming when she pins them open.

2. Book or e-copy? 
I don't mind. I don't see it as a dichotomy; I use both. Ebooks are useful for convenience, they're often cheaper, and they don't take up storage space. I do love paperbacks, particularly the smell and feel of a book, though; I don't feel at home without a shelf full of books somewhere.

3. Library or book store? 
Both! Libraries mean new books without guilt; book stores have that joy of acquisitiveness. Both allow you to browse and flick through, which puts them a cut above ebook stores for actually finding new books to read.

4. New books or used books? 
Either. It's almost easier if it's a used book, because then I don't worry about keeping it looking nice.

5. If you were in a book, which type of character would you be? (ex: hero, villain, sidekick, love interest, etc.) 
Probably the sidekick. I'd be always getting myself into trouble, etc. I could be the Doctor's companion; he'd never have a moment's rest. In a superhero book, I'd definitely have a support role. Unless being a good audio to text transcriptionist is a superpower. (Correct answer: yes, yes it is.)

6. Would you want the book you were featured in to be turned into a movie? Who would play you? Somebody average, not a big name of any sort! I mean, sure, I'd like to think I'd be a leading lady like Jennifer Lawrence or something, but being realistic? It sure wouldn't be a star.

7. If you could live in any possible genre, which would you choose and why? 
Fantasy. Anything can happen. I mean, there's rules, but there's also always exceptions to those rules, and a world full of wonder and enchantment would be good. On the other hand, I don't feel like being a dragon's snack or a vampire's aperitif, so maybe I'll play it safe and say SF -- then I can live on a peaceful colony world and avoid aliens, and maybe have a fun implant that lets me read faster.

8. If you could meet any one author, who would you meet and why? 
Well, if we're going for "any author, ever, alive or dead", I would plump straight for Tolkien and get him to talk to me about Beowulf and the Norse sagas and maybe tutor me a bit in philology. And then I would probably annoy the heck out of him by asking endless questions about Middle-earth. Otherwise, I'd maybe say Jo Walton, who has been very kind to me via the internet for a couple of years now, except I probably will meet her soon, so that might also be cheating. So -- I'll go for Cherie Priest. I have a lot of things I'd like to ask her, unresolved questions about her Cheshire Red books, and she sounds fun.

9. If there was a book about your life, what would it be called? 
You know the British nursery rhyme, 'The House That Jack Built'? I've always thought a book about me would be The Person Books Built.

10. Which character in a novel most resembles you and why? 
For sheer voracious reading power, Mori in Among Others (Jo Walton). Well, there's also the Welshness, which helps.

11. How many times have you read your favorite book and will you read it again? 
That requires me actually figuring out what my favourite book is! The Lord of the Rings, probably: I maintain still that you can find more in that book every time. There's also The Dark is Rising (Susan Cooper), which I reread every year. I do tend to reread my favourites, as long as they're fiction: I love re-experiencing a story with the benefit of hindsight/foreknowledge. It changes everything a little, and in a good book, it can be so satisfying because you see how things come together, or surprising all over again, or both at once.

Find Nikki on:
The Bibliophibian 

4 comments:

  1. Great interview! I totally agree with the Lord of the Rings comment, every time I read it I get something different from it.

    Heather @ Random Redheaded Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Person Books Built is such an awesome title for a book describing someone! Books make up such a big part of so many people's lives and they really do influence who we are. I'd love to live in some type of fantasy world too! They're so much more exciting than this world and like you said, anything can happen! Great interview!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful interview! It's always nice learning more about other bloggers :-)

    I agree about Tolkien! LOTR's.

    Sharon @ Obsession with Books

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!