Friday, May 15, 2015

Book Reviews: YOLO Juliet and Srsly Hamlet

23743762Title: YOLO Juliet
Author: William Shakespeare and Brett Wright
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers
Release Date: May 26, 2015
Source: Publisher
Edition: Hardcover (112 pages)

Romeo & Juliet, one of the greatest stories ever told... in texts?!
Imagine: What if those star-crossed lovers Romeo and Juliet had smartphones? A classic is reborn in this fun and funny adaptation of one of Shakespeare's most famous plays!
Two families at war.
A boy and a girl in love.
A secret marriage gone oh-so-wrong.
and h8. The classics just got a whole lot more interesting. ;)
tl;dr A Shakespeare play told through its characters texting with emojis, checking in at certain locations, and updating their relationship statuses. The perfect gift for hip theater lovers and teens.
A glossary and cast of characters are included for those who need it. For example: tl;dr means too long; didn't read.
**Thank you to Random House Books for Young Readers for sending me a copy of this to read in exchange for an honest review!**

YOLO Juliet was a fabulous read. It's the entire story of Romeo and Juliet told through text messages, which was super clever! I read Romeo & Juliet in ninth grade as part of the English curriculum. Of course, I was super excited because HELLO, it's a love story! I remember being somewhat disappointed by it after finishing Shakespeare's play though, as I found it to be boring.

Let me just say, this book has completely changed my perspective on my original opinion.

I absolutely loved this book! It was so enjoyable because there'd be group chats, updates, and relationship statuses changing throughout the book. It was just the best experience to read! I'd highly recommend it to people who've either read Shakespeare's play or not, because either way it will be enjoyed. Not only that, it's a breeze to get through. You could literally read it in one sitting. I believe it took me about forty minutes or so to read the whole thing; it was a breeze.

I feel like this is a great way for someone to read the play that isn't interested in reading it with all of the Shakespearean slang, because it's left out of this book. The way that each character talks was translated into a more modern and relatable form of communication. It's absolutely brilliant.

I also have to mention the humor in this book. I found myself laughing out loud at parts I know I wouldn't have laughed at in the original play! The way that the parents reacted when Romeo and Juliet both died at the end was just the best. I loved it!

Rating:



23743761Title: srsly Hamlet
Author: William Shakespeare and Courtney Carbone
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers
Release Date: May 26, 2015
Source: Publisher
Edition: Hardcover (128 pages)

Hamlet, one of the greatest stories ever told... in texts?!
Imagine: What if Hamlet, the Prince of Denmark, and the tragic Ophelia had smartphones? A classic is reborn in this fun and funny adaptation of one of Shakespeare's most famous plays!
A kingdom on the brink of war.
A stolen throne.
A boy seeking revenge.
and h8. The classics just got a whole lot more interesting. ;)
tl;dr A Shakespeare play told through its characters texting with emojis, checking in at certain locations, and updating their relationship statuses. The perfect gift for hip theater lovers and teens.
A glossary and cast of characters are included for those who need it. For example: tl;dr means too long; didn't read.

**Thank you to Random House Books for Young Readers for sending me a copy of this to read in exchange for an honest review!**

Before going into this book, I had no idea what was going to happen. I've never read Shakespeare's play Hamlet, but I somewhat knew the story. I really want to pick up the play and actually read it now! Hamlet was literally the sassiest character ever. I don't know if he's like that in the play, but in this text message version of the book, he was. It was so funny, so therefore he was my favorite character from the book.

Just like YOLO Juliet, this was a super quick read that was very enjoyable. One great aspect about this book is that it has tons of texting terms in the back as a sort of glossary in case you don't know what the characters are saying all the time. Even as a teenager myself, I found it to be very helpful! I was constantly flipping back to make sure that I was thinking of the right acronym.

I'd yet again recommend this book to anyone who is looking for an easier way to enjoy the tale of Hamlet, because this one is definitely easier to understand compared to Shakespeare's language. At the end of reading this book, I had a smile on my face! I'm giving this book along with YOLO Juliet a prized place on my bookshelf, and I'll definitely be recommending it to people! I can't wait to read more retellings of classics through text messaging in the future.

Rating:

2 comments:

  1. OMG This looks sooo funny. Hahahahahaha! The emojis are hilarious! I hope my local bookstore has copies of these, omg, must get my hands on them! :D Great review!

    Blessie @ Mischievous Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I loved these too. My kids liked them too, even though they couldn't understand everything (they're pretty little).

    Dena @ Batch of Books

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!