Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Book Review: Those Girls by Lauren Saft

18249315Title: Those Girls
Author: Lauren Saft
Publisher: Poppy
Release Date: June 9, 2015
Source: Netgalley
Genre: Contemporary
Edition: eARC

Some girls will always have your back, and some girls can't help but stab you in it.
Junior year, the suburbs of Philadelphia. Alex, Mollie and Veronica are those girls: they're the best of friends and the party girls of the school. But how well does everybody know them--and really, how well do they know one another? Alex is secretly in love with the boy next door and has joined a band-without telling anyone. Mollie suffers from a popular (and possibly sociopathic) boyfriend, as well as a serious mean streak. And Veronica just wants to be loved--literally, figuratively, physically... she's not particular. Will this be the year that bonds them forever... or tears them apart for good?
Lauren Saft masterfully conveys what goes on in the mind of a teenage girl, and her debut novel is raw, honest, hilarious, and thought-provoking, with a healthy dose of heart.
**Thank you to Poppy for allowing me to read a copy of this in exchange for an honest review!**

I had been looking forward to reading Those Girls for the longest time, though I had kept seeing negative reviews on Goodreads. That's why I'm going to start this review off by saying that this book isn't for everyone. If you don't like to read about catty girls who use vulgar language and mess around with each other's relationships, then this book is not for you. It's great for fans of Gossip Girl, so if you're into that, then definitely give it a read.

My favorite character of the main three would have to be Alex. I found her to be the most relatable and she seemed the most sane as well. She didn't exactly go out of her way to get back at her friends and she seemed to have a normal life where she just crushed on boys, but she was part of the popular crowd and she knew it. I also like how she didn't play with other guys either, like her two friends did. My favorite thing about Alex would have to be that she plays piano and joins a band... it's just the coolest thing! She stuck with it even though her friends kept trying to bring her down about it.

Mollie would probably have to be my least favorite character. She swore a lot and didn't seem to realize that she was in a crappy relationship. I get that the guy she's with has been the guy she's been crushing on forever, but she deserved so much better, which was evident from the way beginning. I really liked the friendship between Mollie and Alex though, because they had been besties forever.

Veronica was an okay character. I didn't hate her, but I didn't love her either. She was just there. It did bother me that she messed with other people and didn't seem to realize what she wanted. Then again, nobody really knows what they want in high school, so that was pretty realistic. One thing I do have to say is that I hated the ending! It seemed a bit abrupt and it was not at all like I was expecting it to end. I wish that it had ended a bit differently, but who am I to question the author's purpose? I'd definitely read more books about these girls, because I enjoy reading books like this.

Rating:

2 comments:

  1. I just finished this book and honestly, I was not a fan. I just felt like there was absolutely no character development at all. And there were way too many important issues that just got brushed aside. Glad you enjoyed it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this on Netgalley and kinda just passed it (the cover is kinda plain for me) but the summary does interest me and like you said its not for everyone but I do love Gossip Girl "the show", I'll definitely give it a try since Alex does seem like an interesting character.

    -Great Review Krystianna, Much bloggy <33
    Lisseth @ Read-A-holicZ

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!