Monday, May 25, 2015

Book Review: Nightborn by Lou Anders

23395648Title: Frostborn
Author: Lou Anders
Publisher: Crown Books for Young Readers
Release Date: July 14, 2015
Source: Publisher
Edition: ARC

Karn Korlundsson is a gamer. "Not" a riddle solver. But in order to rescue his best friend, Thianna Frostborn, he will need to travel to the faraway city of Castlebriar (by wyvern), learn how to play a new board game called Charioteers (not a problem), decipher the Riddle of the Horn, and tangle with mysterious elves.
Meet Desstra. She's in training to join the Underhand--the elite agents of the dark elves. When she crosses paths with Karn, she is not all that she appears to be.
Everyone is chasing after the horn of Osius, an ancient artifact with the power to change the world. The lengths to which Karn will go in the name of friendship will be sorely tested. Who knew that solving a riddle could be so deadly?
The novel includes instructions for playing the board game Charioteers. Visit ThronesandBones.com for additional games, maps, character profiles, and more!

**Thank you to Penguin Random House for sending me a copy of this book to read in exchange for an honest review!**

As soon as I finished Frostborn, I instantly picked up my copy of Nightborn and I'm so glad that I did! Nightborn was even better than Frostborn, which I didn't think would be possible!

In Nightborn, elves have tried to find out where the horn went, though Orm the dragon ate the elves who came. All he knew was that there were more coming back because they thought that it wasn't the last horn and that there's another one out there. They left a slip of paper with a clue on it, which Orm asks Karn to get to the bottom of. He decides to do it for Thianna. Thus, another book of epic adventure begins!

I mentioned in my review for book one that Karn was my favorite character, though that all changed in this book. Sure, I still really liked him, but Desstra became my favorite. Her backstory was just so interesting from the very beginning. She's from a group of elves who have been training all their lives, though she's told that she's failed and has to go on the hunt to find the horn in order to prove that she should pass. On the hunt, she meets Karn. I was so happy that Thianna was in this book again. I was so worried that she wouldn't be for some reason! It was wonderful to see another familiar face. I absolutely love the friendship between Karn and Thianna so much.

One thing that I absolutely love about this book is the world. It's filled with everything: trolls, giants, half-giants, humans, and elves. There's just so many elements that make it up. Every chapter contains a new part of the world! I loved learning more and more about it, and I'm sure that there's still more to learn.  

Yet again, this book will have another beautiful map, a glossary, and game instructions! This time the game instructions are not for Thrones & Bones. They are for Charioteers, which is yet another game that I'm going to have to try out! There is also a timeline which is extremely helpful with the history of this magical world. I really hope that there's another book in this series, because I'm not ready to say goodbye to all of these wonderful characters! I really want to see where Karn, Thianna, and Desstra's journey brings them next!

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!