Sunday, May 24, 2015

Book Review: Frostborn by Lou Anders

18301308Title: Frostborn
Author: Lou Anders
Publisher: Crown Books for Young Readers
Release Date: August 5, 2014
Source: Publisher
Edition: Hardcover (352 pages)

Meet Karn. He is destined to take over the family farm in Norrongard. His only problem? He'd rather be playing the board game Thrones and Bones.
Enter Thianna. Half human, half frost giantess. She's too tall to blend in with other humans but too short to be taken seriously as a giant.
When family intrigues force Karn and Thianna to flee into the wilderness, they have to keep their sense of humor and their wits about them. But survival can be challenging when you're being chased by a 1,500-year-old dragon, Helltopr the undead warrior and his undead minions, and evil uncle, wyverns, and an assortment of trolls and giants.

**Thank you to Penguin Random House for sending me this book in exchange for an honest review!**

This book was unlike anything I've ever read before! It follows Karn, a young boy who will take over the family farm after his father dies. He's currently being trained on how to successfully trade with other groups, though he prefers to just sit and play his favorite board game, Thrones & Bones. When his father tells him to come along to a trade with the giants, he of course goes.  

At this trade, he meets Thianna, who is a half-giantess. She doesn't fit in with the giants because she's smaller than them, but she doesn't exactly fit in with the humans either. She and Karn instantly become the best of friends and embark on an amazing adventure as Karn is told that he needs to flee. 

My favorite thing about this book would have to be that it constantly switched between Karn and Thianna, so the reader got to see what each of them was always doing, even if they were in different places. I also love how in the beginning of this book, it had a map of the entire land. I'm a sucker for fantasy novels with maps in the front! Not only did it have a map, it also had a glossary in the back of all the different words so that the reader wouldn't get lost. BUT WAIT, IT GETS EVEN BETTER. There was also a set of instructions on how to play Thrones & Bones! I will probably end up playing this game with my friends or family, because I'm a total geek. 

I did find this book to be a bit predictable at times, though then again it is a children's novel, so that's to be expected. Character-wise, my favorite was Karn just because of how much he grew throughout the novel. He learned to think for himself and he became much more self-dependent; he could protect himself. I absolutely despised Karn's Uncle. He was utterly despicable! I hated him from the very beginning, and with good reason, too. I can't wait to sink into the next book and find out what happens next, because that ending was so good!

Rating:

1 comment:

  1. Book maps are a weakness of mine too! Glossaries are also a nice touch. And game instructions?! I can so see myself nerding out with that. I'd never heard of this series, but it sounds super cute!

    Mandy's Books and Beauty

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!