Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Movie Review: Divergent

SO GUYS. I saw Divergent the day that it came out last year but for some reason I never wrote a movie review on it. So I figured what time is better than the present, am I right?

I read Divergent in 2011 because of all the hype that surrounded it. Everyone who loved The Hunger Games suggested it, which made me want to read it even more because I had just read The Hunger Games and had immersed myself into this world of dystopian futures. So what did I do? I bought a copy and read it of course! I remember being kind of disappointed. It wasn't completely mind-blowing, but I did enjoy it. Maybe like a borderline 4/5, possibly a 3. I even reread it a few months later to see if my thoughts had changed at all, but they didn't. I enjoyed it *slightly* more but wasn't blown away. I went to the movie not expecting much.

First of all, I'd like to say that this movie was alright. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it like everyone else seemed to either. However, I absolutely loved the casting! Shailene Woodley as Beatrice Prior was absolutely amazing and perfect casting.

divergent quote tris prior gif

And then there was Four. I did find it a bit weird that they made him 24 in the movie because that's like an eight year age different. A 16 and a 24 year old. LIKE WHAT EVEN. But still, I did approve of this casting choice.
tris and tobias tris and four gif
I also approved of Ansel Elgort as Caleb Prior. He's definitely my favorite character out of this whole series, which may be surprising to those of you who have read all of the books. 
beatrice prior caleb prior gif
I guess I'll just say that I enjoyed this movie as much as I enjoyed the book. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it. I've only seen it once since it came out, honestly. I'm just hoping that the Insurgent movie will be better, because that was my favorite book!

Rating:

What did you think about this movie?

6 comments:

  1. Personally, I thought they did a great job with Divergent. I was not impressed with Insurgent though. Too many side effects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I wasn't really blown away by the movie or the book for that matter. The movie kept me interested and I never really got bored watching it, but I was never really caught up in it. It never sucked me in and kept me on the edge of my seat, it was just an okay movie for me.I don't know if I'm going to watch Insurgent because I've been hearing bad things about it and I just don't have a desire to see it. What about you, are you going to continue the movie series?
    Great review, I loved all of the gifs :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED the Divergent movie and definitely agree about the casting choices. Tris and Four were perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same as you. Very good, not great. For me, the series was a downhill one, so I can't decide if I even want to see Insurgent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the casting as well! That was my favorite part about the movie actually. I did really miss some of the scenes they cut from the book because Tris and Four's relationship didn't get much development. Great review!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that Tris is supposed to be a bit older in the movie too, though they don't talk about it.
    But anyway, Theo.. <3

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!