Sunday, April 5, 2015

Book Review: Portal 24 by Meredith Stroud

24206275Title: Portal 24
Author: Meredith Stroud
Publisher: Alloy Entertainment
Release Date: April 9, 2014
Source: Netgalley
Edition: ebook

When teen con-artist Darius is approached by a mysterious government agent about joining a 'Project Oberon', he has no idea what to expect. Certainly not that Project Oberon is actually a top-secret experiment which sends teen back through time to prevent disasters before they happen! Before Darius has time to wonder why he's been chosen, his first mission arrives in the form of a huge electromagnetic weapon of mass destruction, which will kill millions of people in New York-unless Darius and the team can stop it. They're confident; it's all in a day's work for these teen wonders, but what they don't bet on is evil mastermind Ludd. And what they don't know is that Ludd knows the deadly secret behind Project Oberon. If Darius and the gang don't make it back to the portal within twenty four hours, then they'll be lost in time forever...
**Thank you to Alloy Entertainment for letting me read a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!**

I was immediately drawn into this book because it is about time travel, and I'm a huge sucker for time travel since I am a huge Doctor Who fan. I mean, who doesn't love Doctor Who, right? I'll just say that this book is a pretty good take on time travel. The main character, Darius, automatically goes through a huge loss right in the beginning of the book, at least within the first few pages. We find that his girlfriend is going to die in a car accident and he doesn't want that to happen, so he ends up joining up with Project Oberon because it's the only way to keep her and himself alive.

I felt so bad for him because of the loss of his girlfriend, but she's not exactly brought up much more at all throughout the book, which was a bit odd, but I guess if you're time traveling you tend to forget some things like that because you're so caught up in the fact that you're actually time traveling. I loved all the characters in this book, though I think Darius was my favorite just because he had the most background. I also loved the whole idea of Project Oberon that Stroud created. Project Oberon is an institute where teenagers are provided with a time machine to go back in time in order to fix really small things that have happened in the past in order to save a few lives. It's a pretty cool concept. The teenagers are also provided with pretty good lives, but they have to go to training classes for fighting and time travel because of the evil people that they end up going against.

I'd definitely suggest giving this book a read if you have the time. It didn't take me too long to read, maybe about two or three days. It was really enjoyable but a bit slow at times, though I don't regret reading it. I do wish that there was another book though, because that ending definitely left me wanting more! 

Rating:
Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!