Monday, April 20, 2015

Book Review: Material Girls by Elaine Dimopoulos

19104936Title: Material Girls
Author: Elaine Dimopoulos
Publisher: HMH Books for Young Readers
Release Date: May 5, 2015
Source: Netgalley
Edition: eARC

In Marla Klein and Ivy Wilde's world, teens are the gatekeepers of culture. A top fashion label employs sixteen-year-old Marla to dictate hot new clothing trends, while Ivy, a teen pop star, popularizes the garments that Marla approves. Both girls are pawns in a calculated but seductive system of corporate control, and both begin to question their world's aggressive levels of consumption. Will their new "eco-chic" trend subversively resist and overturn the industry that controls every part of their lives?
Smart, provocative, and entertaining, this thrilling page-turner for teens questions the cult like mentality of fame and fashion. Are you in or are you out?
**Thank you so much to HMH Books for Young Readers for letting me read a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!**

I don't even know where to begin with this review! Material Girls completely blew me away and I'm trying to put together my words somehow to make this review not seem all over the place because I just have so much to say. If I could give this book one million stars, I would. I would give it every last star in the sky... that's how much I loved it.

In this futuristic world created by Dimopoulos, teenagers are in charge of everything. No matter who you are, you reach your occupational peak during your teen years, right after you get your Tap in seventh grade. Basically, your Tap is when you get told what job you are going to have for the rest of your life. Of course, most people want to be superstars or work at videogaming or movie companies, though some people get stuck being Adequates, which means they have to do all the business and doctor jobs. Once you're not a teenager anymore, you move down in your job. It's believed that teenagers have the best ideas and dictate what's trendy and what's not, so they're considered top-notch... they're like your glory years.

Marla works at one of the Big Five clothing companies, Torro-LeBlanc. Not only does she work for them, she also holds one of the most coveted jobs there, as she is on the court that decides what gets to go onto production. She gets to help pick the trends. It's just the coolest job ever if you think about it! After getting fired because people don't agree with her idea of what's trendy, Marla begins work once again as a drafter, where she spends day after day designing garments that never get anywhere because other people don't look at them the same way she does.

Ivy Wilde is a teen pop star who's known for her craziness. She's also number one with her music whenever she releases a new song or a new album. She gets paid for singing tons and lives the good life. Ivy doesn't even have to buy her own clothes-her record company buys the clothes for her. The other thing is that she isn't allowed to wear the same clothing piece twice, which is kind of harsh, because she will wear something from a certain trend and then everyone will go out to buy it thinking that it's the next best thing and then the next time they see Ivy she's wearing something completely different and then everyone goes out to buy that too. It's like a never ending cruel cycle in order to make money.

I just want to talk about how awesome this world is. A world where teens run the world and decide what's cool or not... it's just such an interesting concept. All of the characters in this world have this tech gadget called an Unum, which is kind of like a cellphone of sorts, which was pretty wonderful. This world also had these things called trendcheckers. You would take your trendchecker every morning and scan your clothing to make sure that they were still considered trendy; you didn't want to wear something that had expired and was so yesterday. This world had tons of waste too, because of how fast everything went out of style. It kind of made it hard for people to be themselves because everyone was wearing the same trends at the same time, just in different colors.

The characters in this book stuck out so much to me. I know that they're ones that I'll never forget because I felt so close to all of them, especially the two perspectives that the reader gets to read from, Marla and Ivy. A great thing about this book was that it was told through two different people's eyes that had completely different jobs-one was working hard to get by (after being fired) and the other was just doing what people told her to do and she was stinking rich. Sometimes your hard work doesn't always pay off, which is sad.

Another awesome thing about this book is that so much happens in it. It's only a bit over three hundred pages but so much happens. I didn't even think that it moved too fast either, which was excellent. The whole book was just so perfectly paced. I would love to see this movie adapted to the big screen, because this world was just so magnificent. The book also had a strong concept threaded throughout that it's okay to be different, which I really loved. As soon as I was about ten pages in, I knew that this book would become a new favorite, and I can't wait for the release date so that I can go buy myself a copy! This is definitely a book that I would suggest to everyone, because of how great it was, but especially to fans of in-depth dystopian societies and fighting for what is right.

Rating:

11 comments:

  1. Great review! This sounds like a really amazing concept and world. I might have to check this one out once it's released!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's amazing! I hope you like it if you pick it up. :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome review. This one has been on my TBR for a while. I was so disappointed when I did not get approved for the ARC. I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get approved; you'll love it when it's finally released!

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you liked it! This has been on my TBR for a while and I hesitated to read it because I was hearing so many mixed reviews. Some people hated it and some people loved it! I'll have to read it soon!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love it when you finally read it; I found it to be amazing!

      Delete
  4. I put this one to on hold. The world is really interesting but it's really absorbing me. Glad you enjoyed it. I'll try going back to reading this one soon. Great review! :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to see that you put it on hold; if you get back to reading it I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you liked this so much! I had been debating for a long time to request it on NetGalley but eventually decided against it. Now I wish I had requested it! I'm going to check if it's still available. Great review!


    Pearl @ AsteriskPearl's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you like it if you pick it up!

      Delete
  6. Ohh this is a great review! I read this book but didn't like it as much as you but enjoyed it anyway. And I agree with you! The world this book takes place in super interesting pretty pretty cool. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :D

    ~Kaitlin @ Next Page Please!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!