Friday, April 10, 2015

Book Review: Just One Year by Gayle Forman

20821120Title: Just One Year
Author: Gayle Forman
Publisher: Speak
Release Date: September 30, 2014
Source: Purchased
Edition: Paperback (352 pages)
Series: Just One Day #2

Picking up where Just One Day ended, Just One Year tells Willem's side of the story. After spending an amazing day and night with Allyson in Paris that ends in separation, Willem and Allyson are both searching for one another. His story of their year of quiet and longing and near misses is a perfect counterpoint to Allyson's own as Willem undergoes a transformative journey, questioning his path, finding love, and ultimately, redefining himself.
After finishing Just One Day by Gayle Forman, I knew that I needed to read the companion. Luckily, I had purchased it along with Just One Day so I didn't have to wait long. I immediately started reading this the second that I got home from school the day after finishing the first one.

The awesome thing about this book is that it's the same story as the first one, as it has the day trip in Paris as well as what happened afterwards, though it's told through Willem's point of view. I loved seeing how much Allyson impacted Willem. It was also great to see that he definitely felt the same way as Allyson. He had been searching for her just as she had been searching for him. They have such a beautiful love.

I felt really bad for Willem at times because nobody seemed to really care about him, even his mother. I really liked how their relationship changed over the course of the book though. That was nice to see. I found it rather awesome that Willem gets to travel a lot, though it must be hard to do that alone and try to make friends along the way. I know that if I did that I would have to bring someone with me because I don't do well alone and I'd feel too scared.

This book definitely offered up some answers about where Willem went when he disappeared that night in Paris, leaving Allyson stranded. He still had her watch, which was a nice touch in the story. He had that to remember her by, to keep him motivated. It showed that she was real and that he didn't imagine her. Willem's outlook on life is interested and altered my view of life as well. His whole belief of "accidents" and things just happening because they're supposed to and looking for the signs and all that-I believe it too. Some things have to be more than just coincidences. Take life as it comes and put yourself out there. I'm really glad that I read this book as well as Just One Day, and I'm excited to finally read Just One Night. Hopefully I will buy an e-reader soon so that I can do that, because I really need to know what happens!

Notable Quotes:


"Leaving people to jumped conclusions is sometimes simpler than explaining a complicated truth."

"I've since come to understand that the universe operates on the same general equilibrium theory as markets. It never gives you something without making you pay for it somehow."

"Accidents. It's all about the accidents."

"Sometimes the wind blows you places you weren't expecting: sometimes it blows you away from those places, too."

"There's a difference between losing something you knew you had and losing something you discovered you had. One is a disappointment. The other feels like losing a piece of yourself."

"Sometimes fate or life or whatever you want to call it, leaves a door a little open and you walk through it. But sometimes it locks the door and you have to find the key, or pick the lock, or knock the damn thing down. And sometimes, it doesn't even show you the door, and you have to build it yourself. But if you keep waiting for the doors to be opened for you... I think you'll have a hard time finding single happiness, let alone that double portion."

"Loving someone is such an inherently dangerous act. And yet, love, that's where safety lives."

"Love is not something you protect. It's something you risk."

"And something tells me if it matters, maybe it shouldn't be easy."

"Because I understand all the ways of trying to escape, how sometimes you escape one prison only to find you've built yourself a different one."

"It was just one day and it's been just one year. But maybe one day is enough. Maybe one hour is enough. Maybe time has nothing at all to do with it."

Rating:
Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

6 comments:

  1. I"m so glad you liked this series! It is one of my all time favorite contemporary series and it is the reason why I love Gayle Forman so much. Her books are just amazing to me!

    I agree with everything you've said. I loved reading from William's POV and to see how much that one day affected him as well; since throughout Just One Day you know she was affected, but you never really saw how much William was. So, it was great to see how much the day in Paris also changed him and his life.

    Just One Night is such a great conclusion to the series! It's written a bit weirdly because the POV jumps around a lot, but Gayle Forman wrote it perfectly! You get to see the POVs of Kate, William, Dee, and Broodje, and everyone else and it is wonderful to read! I hope you get around to reading it soon :D

    Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read If I Stay by her but I didn't enjoy it as much, sadly. I should still get around to reading Where She Went, though. I read Just One Night already and it was so amazing! Thanks for stopping by. :D

      Delete
  2. Ahh, I am so behind on Gayle Forman books! She has so many that I want to read!! This sounds like an amazing contemporary and I'm excited to pick up this series! Soon!! (: Awesome review!

    Pearl @ AsteriskPearl's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely suggest picking this one up! It's amazing!

      Delete
  3. I haven't read this series but I have read Gayle Forman before I do enjoy her writing. I know there were a lot of rave reviews for Just One Day but not everyone enjoyed Just One Year. I'm glad you enjoyed this though and hopefully you'll get an ereader soon! ;)

    Amir @ Not So Literary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely check this one out because it was so amazing.

      Delete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!