Friday, April 24, 2015

Book Review: Just One Night by Gayle Forman

22021611Title: Just One Night
Author: Gayle Forman
Publisher: Viking Children's Books
Release Date: May 29, 2014
Source: Purchased
Edition: ebook (40 pages)
Series: Just One Day #2.5

After spending one life-changing day in Paris with laid-back Dutch actor Willem De Ruiter, sheltered American good girl Allyson “Lulu” Healey discovered her new lover had disappeared without a trace. Just One Day followed Allyson’s quest to reunite with Willem; Just One Year chronicled the pair’s year apart from Willem’s perspective. Now, back together at last, this delectable e-novella reveals the couple’s final chapter.

THIS REVIEW WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS IF YOU'VE NOT READ THE FIRST TWO BOOKS.

First of all, let me start off by saying that I used to not be the biggest contemporary fan. I used to see a contemporary book and I'd scoff because ew, romance is cheesy.

dianna agron rolling eyes gif 

But then, in just one book, that all changed. I read Just One Day, and I breezed right through it in a day. I then read Just One Year the next day, and it was even better. This series made me love romance books!
Whenever I see a romance book now, I'm completely excited!

despicable me fangirling gif

Anyways, this book! Just One Night is the companion to this companion series that tells you how it all ends. Even though it's so short,  it had everything I needed to hear in it. Allyson and Willem are just the best couple ever, and when I found that they ended up together and finally found each other I couldn't have been happier. I still get super happy thinking about them! I JUST LOVE THEM SO MUCH.

meet someone from tumblr i couldn't even talk gif

Anyways, if you've read the first two books in this series, then definitely pick up this one. If you've not read the first two, then what are you doing with your life!?!? GO READ THEM NOW. GO GO GO!

Notable Quotes:

Saying goodbye is less fraught this time. They have done it now once, like normal people: leave, come back. It builds confidence.

It was so new that day: the liberation of being honest, o being brave, maybe a little stupid.

But today it feels as though home has come to him.

When Allyson smiles, Willem is reminded of a sunrise. A bit of light, then more of it, then a burst of brightness. A sunrise is something you can see all the time and still marvel at. Maybe that is why her smile feels so familiar. He has seen many sunrises.

This isn't about her. It was catalyzed by her, and she's woven up in it, but this is ultimately about him and his life and what he needs to do to make himself whole. He's stopped drifting, he's stopped being tossed around by the wind.

The truth and its opposite are flip sides of the same coin.

There is so much to say. It is like shoving all the sand of the world into an hourglass. Or trying to get it out.

Rating:
 Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

10 comments:

  1. I love love Just One Day, Year and Night! I'm also not a big fan of cheesy novels but I love these three books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just One Day is probably my favorite contemporary novel. I loved it so much. The whole series is great and I ship Allyson and Willem so much! Just One Night was the perfect conclusion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely was the perfect conclusion!

      Delete
  3. No way! I didn't realize there was a third novel. I loved both Just One Day and Just One Year, I'll have to read the last one. -Kaitlyn @ Lit&Tea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll definitely have to hurry up and pick this one up to read! It has the perfect conclusion. :)

      Delete
  4. I LOVE this series. Seriously, if Gayle decided to write a 10 book series about Willem and Allyson I would read them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree! Now I'm hoping that she does haha.

      Delete
  5. Great review! I totally agree on not being the biggest contemporary fan until I read Gayle Forman. Haha, love your GIFs, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES! I could not agree more re: this being the perfect ending to this story! I was a bit annoyed with Allison after the first book, liked her more after book 2 and am now a shipper for life! Great review!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!