Monday, March 23, 2015

Book Review: Rot & Ruin by Jonathon Maberry

24840459Title: Rot & Ruin
Author: Jonathan Maberry
Publisher: IDW Publishing
Release Date: April 21, 2015
Source: Netgalley
Edition: eARC

Brand-new adventures set in the world of Rot & Ruin!
Written by New York Times best-selling author and multiple Bran Stoker award-winner, Jonathan Maberry, this all-new storyline continues events from the award-winning series of novels. We meet Benny, Nix, Lilah, and Chong as they travel through the Sierra Nevada mountains just one faltering step ahead of zombie hordes and one giant leap behind the plane flying through the sky that set them on their journey of discovery.
**Thank you to IDW Publishing for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

Rot & Ruin follows Benny, Nix, Chong, and Lilah who live in a world ravaged by zombies. They've grown up in this world, as they were all just babies when the disease broke out. Nobody knows how the disease came to be, they just know that it's here now and they have to deal with it. There's millions of zombies but only about thirty thousand humans left in the world. It's definitely not a world I'd want to live in!

The four characters were taught how to be samurais by Tom because that's the only way to survive in a world like this. Sadly, Tom died. While walking and travelling around, the crew is saved by a pregnant woman who introduces them all to Farmer John, who seems to be running a very safe and successful town where many people live. The strange thing is that there is tons of children. Sometimes, everything is not as it seems.

I have yet to read the Benny Imura series by Jonathan Maberry, though I have heard great things about it. After checking out this graphic novel, I'm definitely going to pick up the books. This world is crazy and ravaged by zombies and there's tons of crazy people who think they can save everyone. It's all to be expected with a zombie apocalypse. One thing that I really liked about this story was that right in the beginning, we learn about Benny's past. I like how it was given all at once, instead of in pieces. I also like how the four main characters were babies when the apocalypse started, so they didn't have to adapt. They're much different characters because of that.

The artwork in this book was great. I could spend a long time flipping through and just looking at them. That's one of my favorite things about graphic novels-it allows the reader to see the characters and the world just as the author sees it. I think this would be perfect for fans of The Walking Dead, so I'd definitely suggest giving this a read if you have the chance. It was such a quick, enjoyable read. I can't wait for more installments!

Rating:

2 comments:

  1. This original series is one of my most favourite ever, and it just kept getting better with every book.I constantly recommend it, particularly when the kids at work need a coming of age book. It was so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this series! And there is now going to be some short stories set more before or as the whole thing started.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!