Saturday, March 7, 2015

Book Review: The Infinite by Lori M. Lee

20553857Title: The Infinite
Author: Lori M. Lee
Publisher: Skyscape
Release Date: March 10, 2015
Source: Netgalley
Series: Gates of Thread and Stone #2
Edition: eARC

The walls of Ninurta keep its citizens safe.
Kai always believed the only danger to the city came from within. Now, with a rebel force threatening the fragile government, the walls have become more of a prison than ever.
To make matters worse, as Avan explores his new identity as an Infinite, Kai struggles to remind him what it means to be human. And she fears her brother, Reev, is involved with the rebels. With two people she cares about most on opposite sides of a brewing war, Kai will do whatever it takes to bring peace. But she's lost her power to manipulate the threads of time, and she learns that a civil war might be the beginning of something far worse that will crumple not only Ninurta's walls but also the entire city.
**Thanks to Amazon Publishing for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

As soon as I finished reading Gates of Thread and Stone, I instantly picked this book up. The first book ended on such a cliff hanger!

In this thrilling sequel, Kai is sent away to another city that claims it needs help protecting itself. The people of Ninurta find this as such a surprise because they didn't even know that there were other cities out there at all. They thought they were all alone. They see this as an opportunity to open up some new trade routes and help one another, so a group (led by Kai, of course) is sent to this new city to help out. Mason goes with them as well. The thing is, this other city may have had other ideas in mind besides just getting help.

I have to say that I enjoyed this sequel even more than the first book, which is saying a lot, because I loved the first book. Kai was even more badass compared to her former self in book one. She has definitely grown a lot which is pretty awesome. Avan is now an Infinite, which kind of sucks because he and Kai had such a great relationship that he can't exactly remember anymore now. He just doesn't seem like himself at all anymore, so I'm really hoping that in a future book he gets his memories back *crosses fingers*.

I have to say that Mason is probably my favorite character because he's just always there for Kai and he has such a crush on her, it's adorable. Mason helps Kai stay strong through some really tough times. I also really liked Reev as a character, who is Kai's brother. They have had such a strong relationship their whole lives though I have been a bit iffy of him at times, because Kai always seems to suspect him of something though he seems to always be innocent in the end.

I didn't think that what happened in this book was predictable at all, which I loved. I definitely can't wait for another book in this series, because I need to know what happens next! I highly suggest checking this series out as soon as you can!

Rating:

8 comments:

  1. Looks like I really need to give this series a shot; not only are the covers awesome but it sounds like the inside is just as good! Predictability is the worst, so it's great that you thought the events in this one were the opposite. The characters sound fun as well. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly suggest checking out this series! The characters and plot were so awesome and it's reminded me of why I love fantasy. :)

      Delete
  2. I stopped reading the review when I realized it was the second in a series, but I did, quite on accident, see your comment that you liked this installment more than the first. That may just get me over to Amazon to read a bit more on the first book as series tend to have such a downfall from book 1 to book 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely suggest picking up book one!

      Delete
  3. This is a new series to me, but it sounds good! I'm going to see if my library has the first book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I hope you enjoy it if you read it. :)

      Delete
  4. I am so sad about Avan in this one!! I absolutely LOVED him in book one. Now, he's an empty version of his old self and I hate it. ): I really need him to get his memories back! I love the series, though, and I can't wait for book 3!

    Pearl @ AsteriskPearl's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so sad about it too. :( I really want to find out what happens next because I adored him in book one as well. I miss the old him!

      Delete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!