Friday, March 6, 2015

Book Review: Gates of Thread and Stone by Lori M. Lee

17904985Title: Gates of Thread and Stone
Author: Lori M. Lee
Publisher: Skyscape
Release Date: August 5, 2014
Source: Netgalley
Edition: eARC

In a city of walls and secrets, where only one man is supposed to possess magic, seventeen-year-old Kai struggles to keep hidden her own secret-she can manipulate the threads of time. When Kai was eight, she was found by Reev on the riverbank, and her "brother" has taken care of her ever since. Kai doesn't know where her ability comes from-or where she came from. All that matters is that she and Reev stay together, and maybe one day move out of the freight container they call home, away from the metal walls of the Labyrinth. Kai's only friend is Avan, the shopkeeper's son with the scandalous reputation that both frightens and intrigues her.
Then Reev disappears. When keeping silent and safe means losing him forever, Kai vows to do whatever it takes to find him. she will leave the only home she's ever known and risk getting caught up in a revolution centuries in the making. But to save Reev, Kai must unravel the threads of her past and face shocking truths about her brother, her friendship with Avan, and her unique power. 
**Thank you to Amazon Publishing for allowing me to read this book in exchange for an honest review!**

Gates of Thread and Stone has reminded me of my love for fantasy. I used to love reading fantasy-it was all I ever read, actually-though I kind of stopped reading it so much once I fell in love with science fiction. This book was everything that I love in a fantasy book: a kick-ass heroine, an all-powerful villain, an amazing world with many secrets, and magic. It was just so amazing!

I really loved the main character, Kai. She has no recollection of her life before the age of 8, because she was found at a river by a guy named Reev who has taken her in. They call each other brother and sister and are practically family to one another because they have nobody else. After Reev went missing, Kai did anything she could to go and find him to get him back to the extent of risking her life by leaving the walls of her city.

Avan was a very interesting character. It's obvious that he has always had a soft spot for Kai and always had a crush on her, though Kai didn't really realize that at first. They had the sweetest romance with each other! I could tell that there was something between them and it was just so nice when they finally admitted it to each other. Avan was so kind to Kai and was always there with her, to the point where he also left the city just to accompany Kai so she wouldn't have to travel alone in places that they'd never been before.

Kai, of course, has magic in a world where nobody supposedly has magic except for the ruler. She has time magic, though it's a very different form than any that I've heard of before, which was quite refreshing. Kai can't turn back time, but she can sort of pause time though she can still move. So if someone were to come and attack her with a knife, she could pause time and move out of the way so the knife would go through the wall instead. It's pretty dang awesome!

This is one heck of a first book in a series and I can't wait to find out what happens next, especially after that cliffhanger ending! I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT. This has definitely become a new favorite and I'd highly suggest giving it a read sometime!

Rating:

Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

10 comments:

  1. Okay, you sold me on this one. Been wanting to read this but other books just kept getting ahead but now I really wanna get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to read such a positive review of this! I was literally just approved for a copy of this book yesterday from NetGalley, and I'm really excited to get around to it. Kai's magic sounds literally like something I daydream about all the time. I can't wait! Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy you loved this one so much. I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. got this (and the second book) on netgalley as well. glad you loved it. now I'm more excited to read this! :D

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, A gorgeous cover with a kick-ass heroine and a really good story? GIMME! *grabby hands* This definitely is added on my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, that cliffhanger ending. Killed. Me. Glad you loved this one, I did too! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, I'm so glad you loved this, because it's on my to-read shelf from Netgalley, and I was stupid and read a few less than flattering reviews on Good Reads, so I got a little wary. But your review has inspired me to pick it up sooner!

    Jessica @ Ramblings on Readings

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been wanting to read this one, too, but... AHHHHH, so many books! Glad to read that you enjoyed it so much, Kristianna!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this book! Avan is such a sweetheart!! Total book boyfriend material! Are you going to read The Infinite next? It was really good, too!

    Pearl @ AsteriskPearl's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. The writing is exquisite and the plot twists and turns to the very last page. Kai's ability to control time doesn't play as big a role as you'd expect and sometimes it feels as if the book is running on two very separate tracks, but all is eventually revealed in true showdown style. There are, of course, still some unanswered questions, but it's a hugely satisfying read and I can't wait to return for the sequel.

    Rowena
    Columbus Carpet Restoration

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!