Thursday, February 12, 2015

Book Review: The Young World by Chris Weitz

13590919Title: The Young World
Author: Chris Weitz
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Release Date: July 29, 2014
Source: Publisher for Review
Edition: eArc
Genre: Dystopian

After a mysterious Sickness wipes out the rest of the population, the young survivors assemble into tightly run tribes. Jefferson, the reluctant leader of the Washington Square tribe, and Donna, the girl he's secretly in love with, have carved out a precarious existence among the chaos. But when another tribe member discovers a clue that may hold the cure to the Sickness, five teens set out on a life-altering road trip to save humankind.
The tribe exchanges gunfire with enemy gangs, escapes cults and militias, braves the wilds of the subway and Central Park... and discovers truths they could never have imagined.

**Thank you to Little Brown for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

I'm a huge dystopian fan, so when I heard of this one, I knew that I just had to pick it up. It seemed kind of like a cross between Gone by Michael Grant and The Maze Runner by James Dashner, so I was so stoked!

In The Young World, the world was hit by a plague that wiped out all of the adults in the entire world, leaving only kids behind to try to keep the world going. Nobody knows why it is the way it is, but they just have to accept it. Most of the kids have separated into tribes, where they try to survive. One of these tribes is the Washington Square tribe, which Jefferson is in charge of. He's only in charge now because his older brother, the former leader, just died. Jefferson is in love with Donna. She is pretty awesome and will do anything to survive.

This entire book is about trying to find the cure for what's happened, because one of the boys in the tribe believes he may have become one step closer to finding it. They leave Washington Square and go out on this huge adventure to try to find the cure. It's really quite an intense adventure. They meet other tribes along the way. Some of them are nice and helpful and opening, while others are the complete opposite and will do anything to get rid of others who could pose a threat to their own tribe.

I ate this book up rather quickly because I was so interested. I loved the world that Weitz created, and though it is reminiscent of Gone, it's definitely not the same. I also greatly enjoyed the characters, like SeeThrough and Brainbox. Kath got on my nerves at times, but in the end I ended up liking her too. She grew on me after a while. I found it cute that Jefferson had such a crush on Donna; it was pretty obvious that deep down Donna felt the same way though she thought it was kind of pointless since the world was basically over anyways. It's like she didn't believe in love. Plus there's the fact that she really liked Jefferson's older brother.

Overall, I'm glad that I picked this book up. I was concerned at the end because I had gone into this thinking that it was a stand alone, but after looking it up I found that it was a trilogy so hopefully all of my questions will be answered in the sequel! I'll definitely be picking up a copy of it when it comes out.

Rating:
Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

4 comments:

  1. Oh I've done that before, gone into a book thinking it was standalone when it was part of a trilogy! It makes waiting for the next book a pain :P. Glad you enjoyed this book though and that you'll be picking up the sequel. Great review, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had moments like that, thinking that a book is a standalone. Case in point was my Thursdays series by Jasper Fforde. Still incomplete though. Haha! Anyway, I think The Young World is on my TBR. The synopsis sounds interesting. And you said that it's a cross between Gone and The Maze Runner? So it must be good. Not unique perhaps, but entertaining enough. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg, anything that relates to Gone by Michael Grant is surely a book that I'll love!
    Lol, "Washington" tribe lead by "Jefferson"? Coincidence? I think not. xD
    Anyway, this sounds like an amazing read. I'll be looking out for this.
    Azee @ UnderCover Critique

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds really interesting. I've now got this one in my sights. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!