Sunday, February 15, 2015

Book Review: Six Months Later by Natalie D. Richards

Title: Six Months Later 
Author: Natalie D. Richards
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Release Date: October 1, 2013
Source: Library
Edition: Paperback
Genre: Contemporary


Chloe didn't think about it much when she nodded off in study hall on that sleepy summer day. But when she wakes up, snow is on the ground and she can't remember the last six months of her life. Before, she'd been a mediocre student. Now, she's on track for valedictorian and being recruited by Ivy League schools. Before, she never had a chance with super jock Blake. Now he's her boyfriend. Before, she and Maggie were inseparable. Now her best friend won't speak to her.
What happened to her?
And why can't she remember?
Six Months Later is about a girl named Chloe. She's best friends with a girl named Maggie and they aren't all that popular. During study hall one day, Chloe decides to take a nap, only to wake up and find that six months have past. There's snow outside and she's all alone in a classroom, only to find Adam, the guy everyone believes to be a criminal, asking her why she called him. Chloe has no recollection of this, though she finds that she's drawn to him for some reason.

She's so confused and decides to drive herself home, only to find that Blake, the most popular guy in school is her boyfriend. It all makes no sense. Maggie won't even answer her phone calls. Suddenly, Chloe has these amazing grades and an even more amazing SAT score that she knew she couldn't ever achieve. Even better than that, she's applying to Ivy League Schools. So much has changed over the last six months, and she wants to find out why this is, but somehow all of her memories are gone.

The entire time I was reading Six Months Later, I was on the edge of my seat. I had no idea who made Chloe lose six months of her memories, and I just kept blaming everyone. I kept thinking maybe it was one person but then a few pages later I suspected someone else, it was so insane and I just wanted to know who and what made this happen and how they did it. I was so surprised at the end when I finally found out how all of this happened, which is just what a perfect mystery novel should be like. Richards did such a great job with giving away information at just the right  moments.

Blake was so horrible, though I have a strong feeling that the reader wasn't supposed to be too fond of him because our protagonist, Chloe, was a bit wary of him. Adam was so sweet and caring and I think that he was definitely my favorite character. He was someone that Chloe never would have given a second glance at six months ago, but sometimes surface image isn't everything. You shouldn't always believe everything you hear.

The friendship between Maggie and Chloe was such a sweet one. Chloe always stood up for Maggie whenever anyone tried to tease her or bully her and that's exactly what a best friend should do. I definitely enjoyed this book and I'll be sure to pick up any more books that Natalie D. Richards writes, and I'll be highly recommending this one to anyone who asks me for a good mystery read!

Rating:

Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

1 comment:

  1. WHEEEEEE! YAY!

    Natalie and I are friends even though it's been a while since we last talked. I'm so glad you loved this one! I definitely did too. There was definitely so much mystery and I was left on the edge of my seat too!

    I loved all the characters too, which made my experience so good.

    Also, since you loved this one, you might want to try Gone Too Far if you haven't read that yet? It's Nat's other book that just came out last month I think. I LOVED it!!

    Lovely review, girl <3 I'll be sure to stop by more often.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!