Monday, February 9, 2015

Book Review: Love, Rosie by Cecelia Ahearn

20706297Title: Love, Rosie
Author: Cecelia Ahearn
Publisher: Hachette Books
Release Date: 2004
Source: Purchased
Edition: Paperback (448 pages)

What happens when two people who are meant to be together can't seem to get it right?
Rosie and Alex are destined for each other, and everyone seems to know it but them. Best friends since childhood, they are separated as teenagers when Alex and his family relocate from Dublin to Boston.
Like two ships always passing in the night, Rosie and Alex stay friends, and though years pass, the two remain firmly attached via emails and letters. Heartbroken, they learn to live without each other. But destiny is a funny thing, and in this novel of several missed opportunities, Rosie and Alex learn that fate isn't quite done with them yet. 
I picked this book up because I had been seeing the movie trailer around the internet a lot and it seemed like something I'd really enjoy. Plus, it had Sam Claflin and Lily Collins! How could it not be good!?!

In this book, Rosie and Alex are best friends. They've been best friends since like age 5, which is kind of adorable. They always do everything together and they're always by the other's side. Then, when they both turn 16, Alex finds out that his family is being moved all the way to Boston from Dublin, Ireland, which is a huge surprise. They really don't want to be separated, so they stay in contact.

This book is literally one of my new favorites. I've had such good luck so far this year when it comes to books-I've had almost all 5 star reviews which is pretty outstanding. Love, Rosie was such a great read. It took me a while to read because I had read it while I was sick and passing out every five minutes, but this book was on my mind a lot. I felt so much for the characters, for everything that both Alex and Rosie were going through. They go their whole lives not exactly being happy. This book takes place over about 40 years, which is pretty interesting to read about. I'm only 17, so it's different for me to read about adult live because it's not all that relatable, but I felt so much.

This book really made me realize how if you feel something for someone, you should just tell them. These two went their whole lives being unhappy when if they had just told each other what they felt for one another right off the bat, their lives would have been so different. This book also shows all the struggles and difficulties that come with life. You may have all these big, grand dreams that you want to achieve but the road to achieving them won't come without many hardships. You will always be knocked down, but it's best to try to move on and get back up again. This book also shows that even if it takes 40 years, the wait is worth it if it's to achieve your dreams.

I'm so excited for this movie to be released in America (it was released in the UK like 4 months ago! America is so behind :/). I'm definitely going to see it the day that it comes out, and maybe a few times after that. I'm just so happy that I gave this book a read and that it found its way into my hands. It's written through e-mails, instant messages, and letters, which I didn't know going in. I love reading books like that. I'm really interested in seeing how this will be portrayed through a movie.

Notable Quotes:

"Our life is made up of time; our days measured in hours, our pay measured by those hours, our knowledge is measured by years. We grab a few quick minutes in our busy day to have a coffee break. We rush back to our desks, we watch the clock, we live by appointments. And yet our time eventually runs out and you wonder in your heart if those seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, years and decades were being spent the best way they possibly could. In other words, if you could change anything, would you?"

"You deserve someone who loves you with every single beat of his heart, someone who thinks about you constantly, someone who spends every minute of every day just wondering what you're doing, where you are, who you're with, and if you're OK. You need someone who can help you reach your dreams and protect you from your fears. You need someone who will treat you with respect, love every part of you, especially your flaws. You should be with someone who could make you happy, really happy, dancing on air happy."

"There aren't many things in life, but one thing I know for sure is that you have to deal with the consequences of your actions. You have to follow through on some things."

"Children need close friends to help them grow up, to discover things about themselves and about life. They also need close friends to keep them sane."

"I've learned that home isn't a place, it's a feeling."

"People who say it's a long story, mean it's a stupid short one that they are too embarrassed and couldn't be bothered to tell."

"Age is just a number, not a state of mind or a reason for any type of particular behavior."

Rating:

Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

4 comments:

  1. I am excited to read this one! I think this will be an inspiring read. :) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so scared to read your review because the only reviews I've read about this book are of negative ones. So. imagine how glad I was when I find out that you love this book! I absolutely adore this book. Cecelia Ahern was one of the earliest authors that I read. I haven't watch the movie because I'm so scared as to how it will turn out! I hope it will be good. :D I love that this book has a unique way of presenting the story. It was done in email, notes and other formats. It's a different kind of challenge to write a book in that kind of format so it's definitely a bonus point!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't read your review, just check your rating because I'm currently reading this book right now. And so far I feel so sad :( Right at the beginning I can feel that Rosie and Alex are made for each other, such a perfect match but why just why...man, so frustrated agh if one of them just be brave and tell the other about their feelings, things would have take a different turn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that frustration. I was pulling my hair out when I was reading the book. It was so frustrating to think that they could have been together if only one of them make a move.:/

      Delete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!