Friday, February 20, 2015

Book Review: Love, Lattes and Mutants by Sandra Cox

23688608Title: Love, Lattes and Mutants
Author: Sandra Cox
Publisher: Kensington
Release Date: February 17, 2015
Source: Netgalley
Edition: eARC


Finding love is hard, even when you aren't a mutant.
Like most seventeen-year-olds, Piper Dunn wants to blend in with the crown. Having a blowhole is a definite handicap. A product of a lab-engineered mother with dolphin DNA, Piper spends her school days hiding her brilliant ocean-colored eyes and sea siren voice behind baggy clothing and ugly glasses. When Tyler, the new boy in school, zeroes in on her, ignoring every other girl vying for his attention, no one, including Piper, understands why...
Then Piper is captured on one of her secret missions rescuing endangered sea creatures and ends up in the same test center where her mother was engineered. There she discovers she isn't the only one of her kind. Joel is someone she doesn't have to hide from, and she finds herself drawn to the dolph-boy who shares her secrets. Talking to him is almost as easy as escaping from the lab. Deciding which boy has captured her heart is another story...

**Thank you to Kensington for allowing me to read this book in exchange for an honest review!**

Love, Lattes and Mutants is a story about a girl named Piper who isn't that ordinary. Truth is, she's part dolphin, thanks to her mother, who was part dolphin as well. Since she's part dolphin, she can swim super fast and hold her breath for up to thirty minutes. She also has a blowhole on her back which can luckily be covered by her hair when she's in public. 

Piper has done really well keeping this secret from everyone at school. The only person who knows about it is her grandpa. When Holly and Tyler, new kids who just happen to be twins, arrive at school, they take it upon themselves to try to become friends with her. This is strange for Piper because she's never really had a friend before... at all. Piper tries to keep her distance from them the best that she can, until Tyler starts flirting with her and she begins to realize that she really likes him as well. Maybe she won't be able to keep her secret to herself anymore.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I'm a sucker for books about teenagers that are part animal, so this one was perfect for me. I instantly fell in love with Piper and the way that she tried to hide herself from others even though she's beautiful. I felt bad that she was bullied a lot by Edgar, but she was pretty tough which was a nice touch for our protagonist. The idea of being part dolphin was quite interesting. I'm a huge fan of water and the ocean (I dream of living in a beach house on a hill near the water) so I loved how much swimming was involved in this story. I also liked how Piper could communicate with the other dolphins and how she also constantly saved them and helped them when they needed help. 

Holly was just the awesomest best friend. I love how even though she was new, she was quick upon making friends. I found it rather admirable that she befriended Piper, especially because everyone at the school usually just ignored her. Everyone needs a friend, and Holly definitely understood that. Tyler was also pretty cool. I like how he was always there for Piper, even when she tried to push him away. He kept coming back and was very persistent. The relationship between Piper and her grandpa was just the sweetest. They cared for each other so much and always had each other's backs. It was so nice when he told her the story of how her parents met. 

I'm glad that I gave this book a read because it was well-worth my time. I actually managed to read it in a few hours without getting up because I was so into it. I just completely dived into the world (no water pun intended). I'd suggest picking this one up if you want a fantasy filled contemporary that you won't be able to put down!

Rating:

5 comments:

  1. Dolphins!! Piper sounds like a great character, and I think I'd enjoy her. I'm not a huge fan of love triangles, though... is it well done?
    Have a great weekend Krystianna.

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so interesting. It is unlike everything I've ever read for sure. Being part dolphin sounds pretty crazy, but I do like stories about mutants, mermaids and romance so it could be fun. Great review!

    Bruna @ Bruna Writes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds pretty interesting. I hadn't heard of this one, so thanks for putting it on my radar! Great review, :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of this book before now but I am really curious! Thanks for sharing.

    A great review, Sharon – Obsession with Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute premise. And I like that it is unique in regards to the dolphin shifter.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!