Monday, February 23, 2015

Book Review: Fairy Tale Reform School: Flunked by Jen Calonita

21996359Title: Fairy Tale Reform School: Flunked
Author: Jen Calonita
Publisher: Sourcebooks Jabberwocky
Release Date: March 3, 2015
Genre: Fantasy
Source: Netgalley
Edition: eARC

Would you send a villain to do a hero's job? An exciting new twisted fairy tale series from award-winning author Jen Calonita.
Full of regret, Cinderella's wicked stepmother, Flora, has founded the Fairy Tale Reform school with the mission of turning the wicked and criminally mischievous into upstanding members of Enchantasia.
Impish, sassy 12-year-old Gilly has a history of petty theft and she's not to sorry about it. When she lifts a hair clip, she gets tossed in reform school-for at lest three months. But when she meets fellow students Jax and Kayla, she learns there's more to this school than its sweet mission. There's a battle brewing and she starts to wonder: can a villain really change?
**Thank you to Sourcebooks Jabberwocky for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

I've always been a huge fan of fairy tales and the idea of a happily ever after, so when I heard about this book, I just knew that I had to read it!

Flunked is about a 12-year-older named Gilly who steals from the rich to help her family in a sort of Robin Hood-esque sort of way, since her family is poor. She figures that the rich folk won't really miss their items if they're taken. They could always replace it with all their money. Her family was doing okay at one point since her father is actually the one who originally created the glass slipper, but then the fairy godmother ended up getting all the shoe orders for it instead, which really made her father's shoe-making business go down.

One day, she steals a hair clip for her sister Anna since it's her birthday. The thing is, she gets caught. Since she's caught, she's taken to Fairy Tale Reform School, where she has to try to reform herself and stop stealing from people. This school is run by Flora, who was Ella's (Cinderella's) evil stepmother. Other fairy tale characters teach at their school, like the big bad wolf and even a siren. At Fairy Tale Reform School, Gilly befriends Kayla almost immediately, who she ends up being roommates with. She also befriends Jax, who has constantly tried to escape the school but always failed. After finding out that the school may be hiding something, they do their best to find out what it is.

This book was so amazing! One of my favorite things about this book was the idea of the evil stepmother actually running a reform school. It's a pretty cool idea that definitely grabbed my attention. I really felt for Gilly as well; I was sad that she had gotten caught stealing even though it's wrong because she was just trying to help her family who was struggling to get by. Sometimes such a nice gesture can be done by the wrong means.

The friendship between Jax and Gilly was such a reliable one. Jax was always there for Gilly and vice versa, unlike Kayla who I really despised at first... she grew on me though! Jax was such a sweet guy and it was very brave of him to constantly try to escape school grounds even though he knew that it would get him in trouble anyways. Another thing that I really liked about this book was the magic mirror, Miri. I love how she was added into the story, as a kind of connection between the royals. I'm so glad that I got the chance to read this one; it's definitely one that you should pick up if you have the chance too! It was so fast-paced and I couldn't put it down once I had picked it up.

Rating:

12 comments:

  1. Wow...I like the sound of this book and series. Thanks for sharing it and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so good and you seemed to have loved it. I think I will pick it up. I love books set in schools and fairytales :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like so much fun! :) I am totally going to add this to my TBR, just can't resist! Wonderful review, thank you for sharing!

    - Wattle @ Whimsical Nature

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute and fun cover! Glad to hear that it lived up to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of this one before. It sounds fun though. Since she is 12, does it feel like a younger book? Or is it one you think any age reader might enjoy?

    Dreams @ Once Upon A Dream Books

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't heard of this one before, but it sounds awesome!

    Love your blog design.

    Emily @ Follow the Yellow Book Road

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, this sounds so cute! I love all the twists people put on fairy tales for new books. :) It's so fun to see old stories and characters made new. I'm glad you loved it!!

    Rachel @ Paper Cuts

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haven't heard of this one, but I love the idea of Cinderella's evil stepmother running a reform school! And I keep thinking of Kristin Wiig's SNL character named Gilly! ha! Thanks for the heads up, as this is going on my wishlist!

    Terri @ Alexia's Books and Such...

    ReplyDelete
  10. My review for this won't be out til March for the tour, but I loved it too! I hope to see more of these characters.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, this sounds like a fun book! I will definitely have to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds so cute and fun! I love stories about villains so I definitely want to get my hands on this.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!