Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Novella Review: The New World by Patrick Ness

9412471Title: The New World
Author: Patrick Ness
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Release Date: September 27, 2010
Source: Purchased
Edition: ebook (40 pages)
Series: Chaos Walking, Book 0.5

In this dramatic prequel to the award-winning Chaos Walking Trilogy, author Patrick Ness gives us a short story of Viola's journey to the New World.
This was actually the first novella I've ever read. After seeing all the extra information you can get from the smallest of readings of one of these, I'm definitely going to have to check out more with some of the other series I've read or plan on reading.

The Chaos Walking trilogy was a trilogy that I read in an entire week in Summer 2013. It was so great-I had never read anything like it before. I was just so immersed in the world and captivated by all the new species that the world had.

So The New World actually shows us what happened to Viola and how she ended up getting there. I loved seeing that Viola actually came down on a spaceship even though she didn't want to come to begin with. She was from a different spaceship community, where the people of Earth had gone to escape because Earth wasn't as safe as it used to be, especially for living. So since both of her parents are really important on the ship and they possess great skills, they win the opportunity to go down to Earth to see if it's still habitable.

I felt so horrible for Viola, since I knew from the start that her parents wouldn't survive the trip from the actual trilogy. It was heart-breaking. Overall, I really enjoyed this novella and I'll have to check out the rest for the Chaos Walking trilogy!

Rating:
Have you read this novella? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked this! I've just read the first book in the series (The Knife of Never Letting Go) but I've really been wanting some background on the whole disease thing and the ships. Awesome review!

    I've nominated you for The Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award! See my post here - http://blueeyebooks.blogspot.com/2015/01/sisterhood-of-world-bloggers-award-part.html

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!