Sunday, January 18, 2015

Book Review: We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

18339662Title: We Were Liars
Author: E. Lockhart
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Release Date: May 13, 2014
Source: Won
Edition: Hardcover (240 pages)
Genre: Contemporary

A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends-the Liars-whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.
THIS BOOK. This book. This book was a masterpiece. It was intriguing, heart-breaking, and earth-shattering all in one.

Now, I usually explain the book before I review it and blah blah blah but this book would be better if you go into it not knowing anything about what it's about because that way you will feel all the feels like I did, and when I say all the feels, I mean all the feels.

Not once have I ever read a book that made me want to cry. I didn't cry when I read this, but it was the closest I've ever gotten. I had gotten so angry at first and then I just kind of sat and thought about everything that had happened with watery eyes. It was that good.

The characters in this book were magnificent. I loved the cousins and how they were always close for so many years. I also loved the secrets kept in the family just to keep their image up to the public. Sometimes they'd smile when all they'd want to do was cry. How? Just how?

The mystery that was in this book was fantastic-I didn't even know it was a mystery when I started to read the book. But it is, and it will definitely pull you in and make you wonder what the heck is going on. And the ending. Oh my goodness the ending. I did not see it coming. It just hit me so hard. I just sat and thought and thought and thought about what had even happened. I was so confused but then all of a sudden it all became crystal clear.

Now I get that this review is all over the place, but after you read the book and try to write a review on it-you'll see why. All I can say to you is READ IT. You will not regret this decision.

Notable Quotes:

"Do not accept an evil you can change."


"If you want to live where people are not afraid of mice, you must give up living in palaces."

"Better than chocolate, being with you last night. Silly me, I thought that nothing was better than chocolate."

"Someone once wrote that a novel should deliver a series of small astonishments. I get the same thing spending an hour with you."

"There is not even a Scrabble word for how bad I feel."

"Always do what you're afraid to do."

"We are liars. We are beautiful and privileged. We are cracked and broken."

"Be a little kinder than you have to."

Rating:
Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

5 comments:

  1. this book is instantly one of my 2014 fave. gotta agree that this isn't very easy to explain, the story I mean, without spoiling stuff. The mystery was really one of the things that kept me going. I made me think A LOT and I was so glad when my idea was quite close to what really happened. but I still cried A LOT in the end. That ending was just so well written!

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to see you enjoyed this one, I have it on my shelf to read and I'll definitely have to move it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this book, too! I had a couple problems with it but overall, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved the writing style and the surprise at the end - I definitely cried while reading this one!

    Awesome review! Glad you liked the book :)

    Ashtyn @ Wonderland’s Reader!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED this book. So much. Glad we're on the same page (heh!)
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  5. THIS BOOK <//3 Love this too. I'm so happy you did too!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!