Monday, January 26, 2015

Book Review: Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

24770Title: Uglies
Author: Scott Westerfeld
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release Date: February 8, 2005
Source: Purchased
Edition: Paperback (448 pages)
Series: Uglies #1

Everybody gets to be supermodel gorgeous. What could be wrong with that?
Tally is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. Not for her license-for turning pretty. In Tally's world, your sixteenth birthday brings an operation that turns you from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to have a really great time. In just a few weeks Tally will be there.
But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to be pretty. She'd rather risk life on the outside. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all.
The choice Tally makes changes her world forever...

I read this series way back in sixth grade because a teacher had recommended it to me, and when I saw the first two books of this series really cheap at a book sale, I knew that I had to pick them up and give them another read. This is actually the third time that I've read Uglies-Yes, it's that good.

Tally lives in a world where once you turn sixteen, you get this special procedure that will turn you "pretty". Basically, until then, you are considered "ugly" which is kind of horrible. Anyways, Tally's best friend Paris has recently been turned pretty and now Tally anxiously awaits the day when she gets to become pretty and be reunited with her best friend.

Then she meets Shay.

Shay is a rebel. I mean, all uglies are pretty much rebels because they can get away with pulling off pranks so easily since it's seen as an ugly thing to do. Shay is about more than that though. She likes to go outside of where everyone is allowed to go and she tells Tally about this place called The Smoke and this guy named David who lives there-where people live and stay ugly forever and don't conform to the restrictions of their society. Tally doesn't believe this and she wants to know why anyone would want to stay ugly forever when they could turn pretty and party for a long time, so when Shay offers Tally the opportunity to run away with her, she turns down the offer.

The thing is, Tally is told that she can't turn pretty unless she finds Shay, so the entire book is Tally's experience in the Smoke and what it's like there, which is pretty awesome. A really cool aspect about this book is the technology. They have HOVERBOARDS. How awesome would that be!? They even have crash bracelets, which help them stay safe and not fall. WHY DON'T WE HAVE THIS?!

I just think that this whole world that Westerfeld created was genius. The reader really gets to dive head-first into this society and this whole idea of everyone needing to turn pretty, when in reality it's our differences that make us beautiful. That's another thing-this book teaches a really valuable lesson about that.

I absolutely loved David and Tally's relationship, though I felt so horrible for Tally since the whole reason she traveled to the Smoke was to bring Shay back to New Pretty Town just so that she could become pretty herself. It's all Tally's ever wanted.

I'd definitely suggest this book for anyone who loves science fiction and dystopians, because this book is just so unique and the series gets better as it goes on-I guarantee it.

Notable Quotes:

"What you do, the way you think, makes you beautiful."

"Perhaps the logical conclusion of everyone looking the same is everyone thinking the same."

"Maybe they don't want you to realize that every civilization has its weakness. There's always one thing we depend on. And if someone takes it away all that's left is some story in history class."

"Your personality-the real you inside-was the price of beauty."

"Doing what you're supposed to do is always boring. I can't imagine anything worse than being required to have fun."

Rating:

Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

6 comments:

  1. This series has been sitting so long in my to-read shelves. I'm really going to have to read it now though. Great review :)

    Sofia @ SofiaLovesReading

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm starting this series soon! I've heard so many good things about Uglies so I'm pretty excited :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely loved the Uglies! My best friend had bugged me to read it since high school, but I didn't get to it until last year. The rest of the books are at the top of my "Series to Finish" List! Can't wait to read your reviews of the rest of the series.

    Amber @ Dystopian Wonders

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe I haven't read this book... I feel like I am a whole lifetime late for the hype and for this reason I am scared to get into it. I read that it was one of the first books of this kind and later it has just exploded with similar books. So I am scared I have missed my chance with this one :/
    Will give it a go though! And hope I love it as much as you ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. I positively love love love this book/series. It was the first dystopian I ever read, I was in like 6th grade or something when it came out and I adored it. I think I need to give it a re-read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy that you're a fan of this series too! Scott Westerfeld is one of my top favorite authors. It's been awhile since I've reread this series, but I kinda feel like returning to its world again. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!