Monday, January 19, 2015

Book Review: The Here and Now by Ann Brashares

23352730Title: The Here and Now
Author: Ann Brashares
Publisher: Hodder Children's Books
Release Date: January 1, 2014
Source: Netgalley
Edition: e-Arc

An unforgettable epic romantic thriller about a girl from the future who might be able to save the world... if she lets go of the one thing she's found to hold on to.
Follow the rules. Remember what happened. Never fall in love.
This is the story of seventeen-year-old Prenna James, who immigrated to New York when she was twelve. Except Prenna didn't come from a different country. She came from a different time-a future where a moquito-borne illness has mutated into a pandemic, killing millions and leaving the world in ruins.
Prenna and the others who escaped to the present day must follow a strict set of rules: never reveal where they're from, never interfere with history, and never, ever be intimate with anyone outside their community. Prenna does as she's told, believing she can help prevent the plague that will one day ravage the earth.
But everything changes when Prenna falls for Ethan Jarves.

I was really super excited for this book when it first came out, so when I saw it as a "Read Now" option on Netgalley I was super pumped and I couldn't wait to start reading, so of course I started reading it instantly.

My favorite thing about this book would have to be the whole time travel aspect, though there wasn't as much time travel as I was expecting. You see, the time travel kind of already happened, so we are reading about the aftermath. Prenna's people came from a future where a mosquito bite could basically kill you, and in order to try to escape that trauma, all the survivors of that epidemic traveled back in time.

When Prenna comes to New York by time travel, she appears in front of Ethan Jarves, who gives her his New York Giants sweatshirt to keep her warm. Ethan and she become good friends later on, even though Prenna has no recollection of this incident ever happening.

In Prenna's community of all the people who came from the future, they have these seriously strict set of rules that they all must follow. They can't really be anything more than acquaintances with anyone from this time period that they traveled to which is seriously hard. Basically they have to live and mate with only the people that they traveled with. If they go against the rules, then only bad things will come of it.

I really liked the romance between Ethan and Prenna. You could tell that it was coming from the start, which was sweet. The only thing about it that was a bit bothersome was that when they were supposed to be trying to intervene in a murder they were spending so much time just hanging out and doing things together. I guess at times I just wanted more action. Though when the action scenes did come-oh, boy-they did not disappoint. I ate up those moments while I sat on the edge of my seat.

I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars because while I did enjoy it, I wasn't completely blown away. It was a quick read with a few action scenes, so if you're looking for a fun read that won't take long then I'd suggest picking this one up.

Notable Quotes:

"When you open yourself to somebody, when you feel these things that you feel, well, what do you do? You can try to ignore it, maybe you can try to forget about it, but you can't undo it and you can't give it back."

Rating:


Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you (mostly) enjoyed this. I haven't read anything by her since Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann Brashares always have a lot of amazing ideas for a great read. I read My Name Is Memory by Ann Brashares and although I like the idea, the execution wasn't that good and I end up getting disappointed. But I have a lot of hopes for The Here and Now because it has an amazing sounding blurb and your review has made me convinced to give her works another chance. :)
    Azee @ UnderCover Critique

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!