Thursday, January 22, 2015

Book Review: The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon

18594512Title: The Bone Season
Author: Samantha Shannon
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA
Release Date: May 6, 2014
Source: Publisher
Edition: Paperback (480 pages)
Series: The Bone Season #1

It is the year 2059. Several major world cities are under the control of a security force called Scion. Paige Mahoney works in the criminal underworld of Scion London, part of a secret cell known as the Seven Seals. The work she does is unusual: scouting for information by breaking into others' minds. Paige is a dreamwalker, a rare kind of clairvoyant, and in this world, the voyants commit treason simply by breathing.
But when Paige is captured and arrested, she encounters a power more sinister than even Scion. The voyant prison is a separate city-Oxford, erased from the map two centuries ago and now controlled by a powerful, otherworldly race. These creatures, the Rephaim, value the voyants highly-as soldiers in their army.
Paige is assigned to a Rephaite keeper, Warden, who will be in charge of her care and training. He is her master. Her natural enemy. But if she wants to regain her freedom, Paige will have to learn something of his mind and his own mysterious motives.

I had been deeply wanting to read The Bone Season because the premise was just so intriguing! Then one day I got home after school and was lucky enough to find a copy of it in a package from Bloomsbury! I couldn't have been more thrilled!

The Bone Season is about a girl named Paige who lives in this futuristic London, where people have special powers that connect them to the afterlife. Paige specifically is a dreamwalker, which isn't a common form of afterlife communication. The thing is, being clairvoyant is completely illegal, which is kind of horrible, because you can't help it if you are clairvoyant or not. You were just born that way.

Anyways, Paige works in the underground crime scene of London where many other clairvoyants work. She works for this guy named Jaxon who has made her his mollisher, which means she's second in command. She gets paid well and has a place to live, so considering that she's clairvoyant, she has a pretty good life. Then one day, after accidentally killing two men on a train with her powers, she gets chased and ends up getting taken to this place called Oxford, which Paige didn't even know existed because it wasn't even shown on maps anymore.

Oxford has tons of other clairvoyants, though they are all here to work and be trained, and some of them that have not useful powers or people who aren't even clairvoyant, are punished. The people that rule this city are the Rephaim-they came from another world because of this dangerous race called the Emim. The Rephaim are trying to help protect the city in a way. Paige is assigned to Warden. Many people in the city are completely surprised by this, because it's really rare that Warden will undertake a clairvoyant to train. Throughout the novel, Paige finds out more about her world than she used to and she even learns more about her powers as well as Warden.

THIS BOOK WAS SO AMAZING. When I first started reading this book, I got a bit worried that I'd end up being so confused by all the new lingo and slang, though after reading for about 100 pages, I already had caught onto the world of clairvoyance and the different powers and sectors in the city, so my worrying was such a waste. I absolutely loved the world as well. The whole idea of being able to talk to people of the afterlife is just so awesome. I also really liked how the main character wasn't the only one that could do it and have that special power like most books are-I mean, she did have a rare one, but still, tons of people possessed clairvoyant powers which was pretty cool.

I also really loved the relationship between Warden and Paige. I was a bit wary of Warden at first, though after a while he grew on me. He was so nice to Paige, it just took me a while to realize his intentions. Warden was always so sweet to her and I adored their relationship so much.

One of my favorite things about this book was that it was set in a futuristic London. All of the futuristic books that I've read have taken place in America, which after a while can get a bit boring so it was nice to see something a bit out of the box. Plus, I have this obsession with the United Kingdom, so if there's a book set in the United Kingdom, it's definitely going to be at the top of my to-read list. The whole underground crime scene was just so interesting to read about and I really loved the idea.

The ending of this book was such a cliffhanger and I just need to know what happens next!

Notable Quotes:

"I do not know what I can do for this world, but I will not let any harm come to you."

"Knowledge is dangerous. Once you know something, you can't get rid of it. You have to carry it. Always."

"There was no normal. There never had been. 'Normal' and 'natural' were the biggest lies we'd ever created."

"Nothing's worse than a story without an end."

Rating:

Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

1 comment:

  1. Love your review! I've been meaning to read this book for so long but never got around to it. Hopefully I'll make time to read it soon!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!