Monday, December 8, 2014

Book Review: Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

12425532Title: Of Poseidon
Author: Anna Banks
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Release Date: May 22, 2012
Source: Won
Edition: Hardcover (324 pages)
Genre: Paranormal, Mermaids

Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen-literally, ouch!-both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom...
Lucky for me, I won this entire series in a giveaway, which I was super excited about. When I won the books I put them on my shelves and couldn't help but pick them up to read soon after. Of Poseidon is the first book in this marvelous trilogy. The story tells the tale of Emma, who is on vacation with her friend on the beach, though her friend is killed in the water. Suddenly Emma finds that she can talk  to sea creatures, though she's sure she was imagining it, because the shark hurt her friend but not her.

This guy named Galen, after running into Emma, felt something special when he saw her. He's sure that she's a Syrena though he's not completely positive, though he also believes that she can talk to creatures of the water. Since he's so sure of this, he ends up going to her school which kind of freaks Emma out a bit.

You see, the thing is, Galen is the prince of the Syrena, which are mermaids. The Poseidon and Triton kingdoms had been trying to come together through marriage for the longest time, so Galen needs to see if Emma's powers are true so that those two kingdoms can finally unite instead of spreading war between one another. I don't want to say too much and end up spoiling the story!

I absolutely loved this novel. It was full of adventure and mythology and all-things-interesting. I loved Galen and Emma's love story and I was rooting for them the entire time. I just loved it so much. I've never really read a mermaid story that I loved, so I was quite surprised to find how blown away I was by this novel. The ending was such a horrible cliff hanger! I can't wait to pick up the next book and finally read it to see what happens next.

Recommended for fans of:
Mythology
Percy Jackson

Rating:
Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!