Monday, December 1, 2014

Book Review: It's Not Summer Without You by Jenny Han

6584188Title: It's Not Summer Without You
Author: Jenny Han
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Release Date: April 27, 2010
Source: Purchased
Edition: Paperback (288 pages)
Genre: Contemporary

Can summer be truly summer without Cousin's Beach?
It used to be that Belly counted the days until summer, until she was back at Cousins Beach with Conrad and Jeremiah. But not this year. Not after Susannah got sick again and Conrad stopped caring. Everything that was right and good has fallen apart, leaving Belly wishing summer would never come.
But when Jeremiah calls saying Conrad has disappeared, Belly knows what she must do to make things right again. And it can only happen back at the beach house, the three of them together, the way things used to be. If this summer really and truly is the last summer, it should end the way it started--at Cousins Beach.

In the sequel to The Summer I Turned Pretty, Conrad goes missing. Belly hadn't been to the summer house in a while, so she was quite happy when she got a call from Jeremiah, though not as happy when she found why he was calling: he wanted her help with finding Conrad, because Belly knows Conrad quite well. They actually dated for a few months a while ago, and Belly absolutely loved Conrad, though he seemed to have neglected her quite often and treated her badly, though it may have all been because his mother was extremely sick.

Belly and Jeremiah end up finding Conrad at Cousins Beach, and also find that he left school right before midterms and he seems to just be hiding out in the Beach House. We also find out that the Cousins House is going to be sold, so Belly, Jeremiah, and Conrad do everything that they can to try to stop that from happening because the beach house is a huge part of their life, especially their childhood.

I read the first book in this trilogy a while ago, and all that I remembered was that I just thought it was "okay". I didn't love it but I didn't hate it. So I went into this sequel not really expecting much besides a light contemporary read. I was absolutely thrilled to find that I really loved this book. It was much more interesting than the first book and we found out a lot of information between Conrad and Belly, as well as Susannah during her sick days and what she was like.

I think this series would make pretty good movies, now that I think about it. As soon as I finished this book, I really wanted to read the next one!

Recommended for fans of:
The Infinite Moment of Us by Lauren Myracle
Nicholas Sparks

Rating:

Have you read this book? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

1 comment:

  1. I love the Jenny Han novels that I have read, although I haven't yet had the chance to read her Summer series! I'm happy to see that you enjoyed this one; I will have to try all three out soon! :)

    Bella @ Ciao Bella
    http://chicandpetite.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!